How good do you need to be

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small front extension which will be constructed in cavity blockwork and then pebbledashed. The footings will hopefully be going in next week with the next job being the walls.

The walls require approximately 200 engineering bricks and 350 blocks and will hold a small pitched roof with a front and garage door built in.

To date i have only ever patched in missing brickwork and a few small blockwork planters and retaining walls. I can get a bricklayer in fairly cheaply but had wanted to try and do as much of it myself as possible to challenge myself. Digging a hole and filling it with concrete is one thing but can someone with very little experience build walls to an acceptable standard? The walls wont need to look pretty as they will be rendered but how realistic is it for someone who is not a bricklayer to complete this. Time is not a concern just needs to be right.

What do you reckon? Leave it to a pro or give it a go myself?

Sponsored Links
I have a small front extension which will be constructed in cavity blockwork and then pebbledashed. The footings will hopefully be going in next week with the next job being the walls.

The walls require approximately 200 engineering bricks and 350 blocks and will hold a small pitched roof with a front and garage door built in.

To date i have only ever patched in missing brickwork and a few small blockwork planters and retaining walls. I can get a bricklayer in fairly cheaply but had wanted to try and do as much of it myself as possible to challenge myself. Digging a hole and filling it with concrete is one thing but can someone with very little experience build walls to an acceptable standard? The walls wont need to look pretty as they will be rendered but how realistic is it for someone who is not a bricklayer to complete this. Time is not a concern just needs to be right.

What do you reckon? Leave it to a pro or give it a go myself?

I’m doing the same myself now (extension with engineering blocks below dpc, blocks to be rendered above).

So far so good for me, but of course it depends on your competence to start with. I’m a reasonable DIYer and have done lots of research, watched YouTube videos, asked lots of questions on here.

I quite enjoy the challenge, and I know it won’t end up being as tidy as a profession job, but the render will hide most of my sins.

However, I am doing it through necessity - well it’s the only way I can afford to get the extension I want on my budget. If you can get and afford a decent bricklayer, then you’re in a different position to me.

I’m a reasonable DIYer and have done lots of research, watched YouTube videos, asked lots of questions on here.

Sounds like we are in the same boat. I am capable of doing most things after several hours of youtube and research.

Out of curiosity on a normal run how many blocks do you get down in a day?

I’m just at DPC level now, so hard to judge pace at this stage as I’ve had a lot of time levelling, measuring, etc to make sure I’m getting things right.

I’m also labouring and laying myself so that adds to the time requirement.

I’m of the mindset that it will take as long as it takes, but now the days are longer I can knock off work (from home) at 4pm and get a few hours in every night. (Yes my neighbours love me:))

Insulation, DPM and rebar to do this weekend. BC coming on Monday to hopefully sign-off before the concrete pour so fingers crossed I will be able to crack on...

265EB268-2560-43D5-A5B0-006781E3F86A.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You need to ask yourself if you can lay bricks, not anyone else.

And supplementary questions would be can you get things level, square and plumb, straight and all the other stuff that comes with it.

Your setting out is critical- if you get that right you're in with a shout. And that includes getting the footings square and the depth of pour right so DPC ends up where you want it.
Gauging the courses can be hard work but if you're rendering not such an issue as long as you don't go completely mad and cock up the wall ties. Blocks are harder work than bricks- yes there are fewer per square metre but you need to be good on how wet your mix is and how much you put in the beds.
TBH if you can afford it and your brickie is good and available then give him the job- it'll take him a tenth of the time and it'll be right especially if he looks after squaring and gauging.

Been to a couple of jobs where people have had a go at doing things them self’s usually to try and save a bit of coin.

Ive had foundations put in way off the level, people trying to build up to damp height and coming in way too high for the floor. Just leads to more work/cost putting it right than it would be if they had someone do it in the first place.

I now dread when someone says the founds are already in I’ve done them myself (n)

By all means give it a go but sometimes your just as well paying someone to get it done

Looking good Andy. Mine is only a fraction of that and i too am thinking about what can be done over the summer months whilst working from home.

I am confident i can get things level and plumb. They have gone alright when i have done small retaining walls 4-5 courses of blocks high just don't always look the neatest with mortar splashes dotted about.

Looking good Andy. Mine is only a fraction of that and i too am thinking about what can be done over the summer months whilst working from home.

I am confident i can get things level and plumb. They have gone alright when i have done small retaining walls 4-5 courses of blocks high just don't always look the neatest with mortar splashes dotted about.
Thanks. I found that Rodian Builds https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwws-NyIJiRlqVy_X3yugfA and Stu Crompton https://www.youtube.com/user/stucrompton were both really helpful channels to watch, both in terms of laying tips and setting out, etc.

As has been mentioned above, take your time getting the levels/measures right when setting out and try to think a couple of steps ahead. Best of luck.

I’m just at DPC level now, so hard to judge pace at this stage as I’ve had a lot of time levelling, measuring, etc to make sure I’m getting things right.

I’m also labouring and laying myself so that adds to the time requirement.

I’m of the mindset that it will take as long as it takes, but now the days are longer I can knock off work (from home) at 4pm and get a few hours in every night. (Yes my neighbours love me:))

Insulation, DPM and rebar to do this weekend. BC coming on Monday to hopefully sign-off before the concrete pour so fingers crossed I will be able to crack on...

View attachment 192455
Looking good from a distance! ;)

You can certainly have a go in the foundations and see how it feels and looks. The main thing is to get it level, and square and parallel, or it will mess up the roof.

You wont see much below DPC so if you don't want to continue then you can get someone in.

But don't think that just because it will be rendered or plastered it will be OK. If the blocks are jutting out all over the place or the joints not filled or covered in snots, the plasterer wont' be happy.

I have a few blocks laying about so I am going to lay a few courses in the back garden at the weekend to see how i feel about it. If i do a single skin how much effort should you need to knock it over after leaving it to go off for 24hrs if laid correctly?

I just practiced a few bricks with building sand and plasticiser, no cement. My first course is completely underground, and then I did the inner skin before the engineering bricks on the outside, so also got to practice on the job without too much fear of visibility.

For mine, like Woody said, from afar it looks alright. A bit messy close up, but I'm not sure anyone will look all that closely.

I think the key for getting it nice is a good mortar mix (not too wet or dry), and getting the quantity of mortar on the bed roughly right before you lay so you're not scraping off too much, or having to remove blocks to re-do your bed. I've bought some building profiles to help me from here-on-up, given it's 11 x 5.5m, it was a worthwhile investment for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back