Bricks above front window seem loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

A small patch of bricks above my front window seem loose and a couple pushed in. How can this be rectified. I have attached photos of the area.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 228
  • thumbnail (4).jpg
    thumbnail (4).jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 149
  • thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
Probably an old concrete 'Boot' lintel that's failed.
Ideally should be replaced by a Catnic or similar lintel, and the triangle of brickwork rebuilt. But if it is a Boot lintel, they are difficult to get out.

Probably an old concrete 'Boot' lintel that's failed.
Ideally should be replaced by a Catnic or similar lintel, and the triangle of brickwork rebuilt. But if it is a Boot lintel, they are difficult to get out.
Honest question, could the difference in brickwork and mortar colour above the window suggest the lintel has already been replaced and the current damage has been caused by that installation?

Honest question, could the difference in brickwork and mortar colour above the window suggest the lintel has already been replaced and the current damage has been caused by that installation?

That was my thought. The re-pointing on the left has extended past the window whereas the pointing on the right stops fractionally past it.
I'm not a brickie/builder but is it possible to remove a 'diamond' pattern of bricks, (to prevent them collapsing), to the right of the window and then re-bed them in correctly before re-pointing?

Sponsored Links
Quite possibly, but the white, one-course deep band across the top of the frame makes me think it might be a Boot lintel.

thanks everyone for the comments. the lintel was replaced by the council many years ago. i forgot to mention that its not a recent issue. the bricks have been like this since i moved in in 2005. I am just thinking about having the house repointed and wondered ifvthis was an issue or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back