Window lintel and loose bricks above window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having new windows fitted and a lot of the external bricks above the window are loose and can be moved by hand. I can't see what they're holding up as I need to remove the soffits to access them.

I spoke to the window fitter and he said they'd support the bricks when removing the window and fix them before fitting the new windows.

However, I wanted to get some second opinions. Are these bricks external decoration only? The fact they can be moved by hand suggest they're not holding any weight.

I wonder if a concrete lintel is in place, but it rests on the internal cavity wall and the external wall is just dressing around the window?

It's a dormer bungalow so the only structure above the bricks is the eaves and roof tiles. See attached photos.

Attachments

• PXL_20230313_134704423.jpg
    PXL_20230313_134704423.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20230313_134734304.jpg
    PXL_20230313_134734304.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
I'm having new windows fitted and a lot of the external bricks above the window are loose and can be moved by hand. I can't see what they're holding up as I need to remove the soffits to access them.

I spoke to the window fitter and he said they'd support the bricks when removing the window and fix them before fitting the new windows.

However, I wanted to get some second opinions. Are these bricks external decoration only? The fact they can be moved by hand suggest they're not holding any weight.

I wonder if a concrete lintel is in place, but it rests on the internal cavity wall and the external wall is just dressing around the window?

It's a dormer bungalow so the only structure above the bricks is the eaves and roof tiles. See attached photos.
Property is 1950's built and dormer conversion was done later, I should add.

Yes, it's a cavity wall so the outer leaf of brickwork isn't supporting anything. If it's a 1950s property then the bricks are probably supported directly off the frame. The internal leaf will probably be on a concrete lintel.

They won't be able to support the bricks when they take out the window - they'll end up having to reinstate the brickwork.

Personally, I'd ask the window fitters to simply install a bit of UPVC above the window and forget about the brickwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back