What no lintel ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well sort of .
I've just removed an old metal framed single glazed window from an upstars wall. I expected to see some sort of support for both internal and external skins of wall but thats not the case.
What it's got is a concrete lintel above the opening and where the window was positioned , under the external bricks there is nothing . ie, the external brick was sitting directly onto the steel window frame.
Whilst i understand that the wall still has support via the main concrete lintel should it no have something under the outer external bricks as well ?
Due to an extension we wont be replacing the window as this is the opening to the new rooms.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What it's got is a concrete lintel above the opening and where the window was positioned , under the external bricks there is nothing . ie, the external brick was sitting directly onto the steel window frame.
Whilst i understand that the wall still has support via the main concrete lintel should it no have something under the outer external bricks as well ?
Not uncommon to support the external cladding on the window frame..

If the new extensions roof will be sitting above this opening then a new lintel would have been in order anyways..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back