Steel Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am repointing the external walls of an 1800's cottage and noticed that the bricks have dropped above all the windows, the walls are 9" solid brickwork with no cavity.

Upon further investigation I have discovered there are no external lintels above the windows themselves (Outer skin of bricks) but there is an internal concrete lintel spanning the window opening on the inner skin of bricks...hope that makes sense?

As I am planning on replacing the windows as they are shot to pieces, what would be the best solution to complete at the same time?

Would I need to prop up with strong boys?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
You'll certainly have to support the brickwork when taking the old windows out. It was normal practice years ago to put window frames in position and brick up round them so the frame supported the brickwork above.
I've worked on replacement windows on 1930's properties with a brick soldier course above the existing wooden windows which almost always fell out when taking the old frames out.
Strongboys are the way to go. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Would a metal L shape catnic lintel be sufficient?

I have looked at these and they look like they are OK but I don't know if they could support the load above, the house is 2 storey?

The 1st window I am doing is 1,200mm wide (Inc 150mm each side) & the L shape will allow me to butt it against the concrete inner lintel and then put a row of bricks in front of it as the wall is a 9" solid wall.

Any views would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If the clear span is less than 1200mm, a CNZ94C will be fine.

Catnic also do C shape sections which are stronger and can still be faced with brickwork if you are concerned about the capacity of the L shape sections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back