Bricks above window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm getting this window replaced and it has a single course of bricks sat on top of it - it's a bungalow. Window company is saying a lintel might need to be installed by a builder, although this only came up after the windows were ordered and now delivered to them which is annoying. Anyway, do I need a lintel here to replace these bricks and basically not even hold anything up? Would building regs be relevant for such a lintel if not actually load bearing?

Or... could they just remove the bricks, install the new window and put them back? Would this all be above board and a sound way to do things?

Alternative that doesn't involve paying 350 quid for a lintel or balancing bricks on top of the window, would be to remove the bricks, install the window, then spray in foam where bricks would go and cover on outside with upvc? The bricks in question aren't load bearing, they are outer skin of cavity wall.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• 20230606_210116.jpg
    20230606_210116.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
We have no lintel above windows on our 1960s bungalow. Internal wall lintel yes, but no external one.
The way the roof is I can't fit a lintel in as won't slide in because of roof wood..
Our current windows are sagging at the top which has caused sealed glass units to fail every 6 to 10 years.
Currently taking advice but no solution.
Talking to fitters it's just a case of putting the plastic windows in as is, then drooping sofit board on the top. Tuff if they sag over time.
I think the design of some houses is for stronger wooden windows not plastic..
Re your window
Guess those bricks stayed put or were fitted to the top of uPVC window when fitted.
Not sure I've helped but it's a common problem

Wayners, is it possible to use a piece of timber with brick slips fixed to it over the top of your window?

Sponsored Links
Here is ours. Nothing above like op
I wonder If they make windows will steel in?
Op could remove bricks and window go to the top

Attachments

• PXL_20230607_090548064.jpg
    PXL_20230607_090548064.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 51
Bricks in that situation are mostly just decorative to match the rest of the wall and fill the gap, although the timber supports for the soffit may be resting on them.

Bricks can't go back straight on a plastic frame. You could potentially remove the bricks and fit an ugly cover strip and backing timber (supported mid-span), but you'll need to investigate the soffit support situation.

This picture is from the other side of the house, but shows the relationship between the top course of bricks and roof timbers behind or above the soffit.

Window fitter has suggested installation of a 10mm thick T bar and put the bricks across it. This would be hidden by the masonry and window frame. It would be an improvement on the existing situation, unless there's already a T bar in there. Technically it would require building regs approval as a "structural amendment" if I was inclined to go down that road.

Attachments

• 20230418_145616.jpg
    20230418_145616.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 57
It's not a structural alteration and does not need their approval.

As you need to mess about with it, I'd be inclined to just fit a tray lintel and put the bricks back as is. Just ensure the person doing it, does it right and not a smudgy mess.

It's not a structural alteration and does not need their approval.

As you need to mess about with it, I'd be inclined to just fit a tray lintel and put the bricks back as is. Just ensure the person doing it, does it right and not a smudgy mess.
This is what the building control duty officer told me. I was surprised as well.

Hello,

I'm getting this window replaced and it has a single course of bricks sat on top of it - it's a bungalow. Window company is saying a lintel might need to be installed by a builder, although this only came up after the windows were ordered and now delivered to them which is annoying. Anyway, do I need a lintel here to replace these bricks and basically not even hold anything up? Would building regs be relevant for such a lintel if not actually load bearing?

Or... could they just remove the bricks, install the new window and put them back? Would this all be above board and a sound way to do things?

Alternative that doesn't involve paying 350 quid for a lintel or balancing bricks on top of the window, would be to remove the bricks, install the window, then spray in foam where bricks would go and cover on outside with upvc? The bricks in question aren't load bearing, they are outer skin of cavity wall.

Thanks for any advice.
That window is a later addition, right?

That window is a later addition, right?
Well spotted, yes it was! The room had a window in a different wall originally but it got bricked up in the 70s for a rear extension. All the other windows have soldier bricks above.

Is there a lintel on the inner skin? You would assume so but ....

Why would it matter? Those bricks at the top are separate from the inner skin as would be the replacement window. At the moment, the window and whatever runs across the top of it, is effectively the lintel holding up the single course of bricks at the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back