Bricks above window

If the window does not sit beneath the inner skin at all then as you surmise the inner is already suitably supported. Or does it?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Why would it matter? Those bricks at the top are separate from the inner skin as would be the replacement window. At the moment, the window and whatever runs across the top of it, is effectively the lintel holding up the single course of bricks at the top.
I guess folks are concerned that there may be inadequate support on the (all important) inner leaf, considering it's supporting the roof.

I see... fair point. From what I can tell, and based on the original photo, the window frame is very much within the outer skin of bricks. Sits back from the face of those bricks a bit but can't be much further back than those bricks and surely couldn't be bridging the cavity. The internal reveals are almost 9" deep back from the window frame. So surely the window and course of bricks sat above it are completely separate from inner skin. The tops of the reveals don't show any signs of cracks or damage anywhere in the house and windows have been changed in the past.

Sponsored Links
So surely the window and course of bricks sat above it are completely separate from inner skin. The tops of the reveals don't show any signs of cracks or damage anywhere in the house and windows have been changed in the past.

Touché.
You may be able to have a peep once you remove the window and that outer course, just to make sure. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back