Bricks on lathe and plaster ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing the floor in my 1st floor bedroom and apart from the usual detritas resting on the lathe and plaster ceiling of the room below I've found a number of bricks and a heavy iron pipe about 6 feet long. The bricks aren't near a wall where perhaps they had been displaced making me worry that they've been put in strategic places for a reason. Either that or someone was planning murder, hoping the ceiling would fail whilst the victim was sitting below reading the paper!

Does anyone have any explanation for heavy objects all over the place. I've been removing anything loose and although I've removed the bricks want to be certain it's the right thing to do.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm replacing the floor in my 1st floor bedroom and apart from the usual detritas resting on the lathe and plaster ceiling of the room below I've found a number of bricks and a heavy iron pipe about 6 feet long. The bricks aren't near a wall where perhaps they had been displaced making me worry that they've been put in strategic places for a reason. Either that or someone was planning murder, hoping the ceiling would fail whilst the victim was sitting below reading the paper!

Does anyone have any explanation for heavy objects all over the place. I've been removing anything loose and although I've removed the bricks want to be certain it's the right thing to do.

Many thanks.

Chimney breast removal?

Window made bigger?

Many thanks.

Chimney breast removal?

Window made bigger?

Chimney breast hasn't been removed (though opening was blocked up). But for that or the window there would have been no need to remove floorboards on the opposite side of the room so that bricks and bars could have been dropped onto the ceiling below. Their position doesn't make sense. Either very careless and shoddy work at an earlier point in time or they're there for a reason.

Sponsored Links
A piece of old gas service pipe too long to get out at last refurb?

That makes sense. But ... the bricks???

Can I take it that there appears to be no structural reason for their presence. I know it sounds crazy but I was wondering if for some sort of balance it was deemed necessary to have some weight pushing the ceiling down in certain areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back