Brickwork cavity wall inner leaf 1879 terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a 1879 mid-terrace, it's a fairly standard stone built 2up 2 down here in East Lancashire. There was evidence of damp internally on the front elevation so I took the gypsum plasterboard off and the plastic airflow membrane and discovered a soaking wet inner leaf wall. Like most properties around here the external pointing has been replaced with sand/cement which is being raked out next week and redone with lime. My question is regarding the state of the bricks, IMO they look shot, would it be advisable to get the inner leaf rebuilt and has anyone had this done?

IMG20230718122627.jpg

IMG20230718122633.jpg

IMG20230718122638.jpg

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry too much. Fill all the deep pockets and consolidate with a lime mortar (recent research says don't use NHL but use a non-hydraulic lime. Actually much cheaper!) and plaster with an insulating lime plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back