Bridging the cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage has a brick outer wall and breeze block inner wall.

In the past someone has a cut hole to the previously solid walls to fit an external door. The external door frame is only the width of the external brick work and is screwed directly into it , leaving the internal breeze blocks and cavity exposed.

The question is what is the correct way to finish doorway so that I cannot see into the cavity. Do I just screw a door lining kit into place?

Sponsored Links
On internal walls, it's normal to use a plastic cavity closer & plaster over this; in your case the reveal should have been bricked up as part of the inner wall, using a strip of DPC between the outer wall & the inner block work. You could screw a door liner (or treated timber strip) to the inner block work to close the cavity but I would use some form of damp membrane between the wood & the outer brickwork to prevent ingress of damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back