Fitting a Hormann steel front door in Scotland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
I want to replace my leaky twisted bq wood door and frame. I am considering a Horman entrance door as I want something that wont warp twist or leak over a reasonable time.
These doors come in 1000mm as a min width, I can buy custom at 2x price but it's already dear.
My front porch outer brick leaf width is 902mm. I don't want to take a cutter to it as the brick as textured. The top lintel is way over length so no worries there.
In Scotland the external doors do not fit on the outer leaf, I guess they are tied to the inner leaf? The door frame starts where the cavity begins (looking from outside)
Wall construction is outer brick, 100mm cavity then 100 block inner leaf.

Two main questions,

How is a door frame fitted/secured?
if it fits in the cavity and is secured with ties at the inner leaf, could I get a door with frame at 1000 then cut away inner leaf block and fit the door and frame from the inside (less frame would show from outside) or must a door/frame be fitted from outside bracing against the inner leaf?

Any advice from an experienced door fitter would be very much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back