Briggs & Stratton 82200 engine

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I'm trying to get an old Clarke generator working. It was bought in 1991 but has hardly ever been used. I tried to start it a few years ago without success and at the time I removed the carb, fuel tank etc and never got round to putting it back together. I now need to use it so I've been trying to assemble it. There is a complicated govenor assembly with various rods, springs etc. and I've been unable to assemble it. I have actually destroyed one rod and a small spring so I'm now looking at rigging up a manual throttle. I have a more modern Briggs & Stratton engine on my lawnmower and I never need to change the throttle setting. Effectively I start the engine with it on full throttle. I was just wondering if this 82200 would be OK on a fixed throttle setting or does it need to be shut down lower for starting? I don't know how the govenor works so I don't know if it opens the butterfly by centrifugal action.

Sponsored Links
You'll find that this motor is governed (or should be) to around 3000 RPM and has to maintain that speed irrespective of load.
It will start on full throttle but it won't be very happy running the alternator as the output may alter somewhat and I've got a feeling the revs may be all over the place.
Would you give us a pic of the engine, if possible? I didn't think this motor was fitted to a genny!
John :)

I'm not certain about the model number as the instruction book covers multiple models and I can't find a number on the engine apart from the 3 HP markings. This is a photo of it complete apart from the air filter:

Wow, that's getting on a bit!
I thought these motors were usually fitted to the Baromix and rotovators etc and was happiest at lower RPM.
Anyway, it has a pulsa - jet carburettor, and more often than not, the governor was an 'air vane' type, with a fairly simple rod connection to the carb butterfly. Taking the fan cowl off may expose such a device.
Does the engine actually fire up? Expect contact breaker points on these, if I remember. The diaphragm between carb and fuel tank will also need renewing by now.

Sponsored Links
The shaft for the govenor comes out from near the drive end of the crankcase rather than the fan end. This is the parts list and it is parts 616 and 227:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/21237/Briggs-And-Stratton-Series-82200-To-82299.html?page=3#manual

The problem was that this bit is behind a plate welded to the back of the petrol tank and I could not work out how to get the linkage rod + spring from lever 227 correctly hooked on at both ends and also get the carb. mounted onto the tank. The tank has to be removed to get at the bolts that mount the carb. to the engine. The gasket from carb. to tank is a paper one and I'm hoping to make a new one if needed but I will try it with the old gasket first.

OK that's a centrifugal governor and the rod with the flat end rests on 219, the governor wheel with bob weights. When the engine speeds up, the governor extends, turns the rod which shuts the butterfly on the carb.
I would have thought that the diaphragm and gasket, between tank and carb, incorporates 'flap valves' which allows the fuel to be pumped from the tank up to the carb. I'd strongly recommend the genuine B&S replacement.

I had forgotten that I already posted about this engine! I had also forgotten that anything got destroyed! At least I did find the model number, 82232.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back