Briklaying mortar mix - crumbly when dry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having house extended by local builder. Noticed that the bricklaying mortar is quite crumbly when dry. I can scratch a groove in the mortar between the bricks with my finger nail and also easily crumble the excess to dust between my finger and thumb. Compared to the original mortar to the existing house the new mortar seems far too weak. Should I be concerned? :(

Sponsored Links
how long ago were the bricks laid? it takes a while for the muck to go really hard. depends how old it is. after about a week in this weather, it should be solid.

Thanks Bondy for your reply - the mortar was laid on Friday. I didn't realise it takes a few days to harden, I thought in this weather as soon as it was dry then it was set as hard as it would get. Hope it hardens in a few days.:cool:

Sponsored Links
I dont think you should be able to scratch it with you nail even after 24 hours?

Could it be that the bricky watered down the mortar mix after it started to go off early in the heat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back