Mortar strength

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have looked at new blockwork mortar and it crumbles when I squash it in my fingers to a fine dust. It is 3 days old. The mortar below DPC is stronger, as I understand it to be more cement mixed in.

I was thinking of mixing myself one cup cement with 5 cups sand to see.

Is there a way to assess the quality of the mortar used for the blockwork other than my squeezing it and see how it becomes dust?

Sponsored Links
Is there a way to assess the quality of the mortar
Not without experimenting with several varying mixes or batches, all tested under the same conditions.

A relatively weak mix will set quite hard as long as it it kept damp and is prevented from drying out too quickly. A really strong mix will turn to dust if you spread a thin layer on a high suction surface.

Blockwork would much prefer a weaker mix.

Any mix weaker than 1:5 will be crumbly and you will be able to scrape it with your finger. The face hardness of a joint comes from pointing, from compressing the face, not from the mix ratio.

Sponsored Links
OK, yesterday I mixed 4 cups of sand and 1 cup of cement inside a little tub, because this is what they use for the blockwork, and now I have let it to dry to see what happens. It is grey-greenish in colour.

In contrast the builder's mix is yellow almost. The sand is kind of orange.

Edit: today I looked at my mix which I let dry yesterday, it is much darker then the builder's mix which is yellowish, it is also wet outside, I will leave it to dry another day.

As an aside, his mixture inside the mixer also started as grey-greenish but as it kept mixing for much longer than me, the colour lightened and it has ended up a medium yellow. Maybe mixing for a long time is obligatory?

I looked online for the right mix ratio, and I have seen from 3:1 to 7:1, does anyone know? They talk about "parts", so it goes by volume ? Therefore my 4 cups of sand and 1 cup of cement is called a 4:1 ? Because my mixture is way darker than the builders, so he is not using 4:1?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back