Bringing stone terrace up to same level as internal FFL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a stone flagged terrace at the back of the house up to some sliding patio doors & i've seen lots of pictures of paving finishing at what appears to be the same level at the internal floor, thereby giving the much desired 'mmmmmm bring the outside inside, it's such a woderful space howay the lads i'm george clark the tv architect' effect.
However, after reading stuff on paving expert it seems that i ought to be finishing my paving 150mm below the dpc. I understand it is acceptable to bridge the dpc in small areas such as steps, but how does one manage to do it over a large area without causing problems?

Sponsored Links
I understand it is acceptable to bridge the dpc in small areas such as steps,
No it’s not; it’s acceptable to raise the level of the step above the DPC (as in disabled access) but not to bridge it, you should still install a DPM between the step/ramp & the wall.

but how does one manage to do it over a large area without causing problems?
If you build any higher than 150mm from the DPC you could get damp in the wall above due to rain splash & puddling & building completely above & bridging the DPC would be very foolish. There are some work around’s & you can see them here; http://www.pavingexpert.com/dpc01.htm but it may be the site you’ve already been looking at.

You should also be aware that if your raise a terrace/decking more than 300mm above the surrounding ground level, you will need Planning Permission!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back