Brining a water supply in externally?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have an extension that at some point we would ideally take a water feed to - due to a number of factors, going through the house is not possible. We have our mains water pipe in the drive that we could connect to.

My understanding is that any mains water feed has to be buried at a depth below the frost line (750mm or something?) and that the feed then has to come up through the foundations of the building that is being connected? That is an issue for 2 reasons:

1. Our property is in a flood risk area, has been made flood resistant, and any penetrations need to be kept above the theoretical protection line (e.g. the protected depth of floor resistant doors etc.);
2. The extension has underfloor heating that would be almost impossible to miss in any attempt to bring up from underground internally.

Is anyone able to help clarify the regs (I'm assuming WRAS?) about water connections from the main? Is there a way to connect to the mains water pipe, stay at the required depth and then come up vertically for penetration into the building at the required height externally? Perhaps with Armaflex or other insulation used in heating installations, with the addition of a 'frost heater wire' inside the insulation etc?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Insuduct meets the regulations for bringing a water pipe up externally, I used it to bring our new supply into our kitchen under the sink.

Sponsored Links
IMG_20240120_152334.jpg

That's how the finished article ended up at our house, you bearly notice it apart from our 4 year old likes to stand on it to stare at you through the window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back