New Water Main, above ground insulation?

2 Oct 2012
Reaction score
United Kingdom
hi all,

I'm trying to prepare my trench for the new water main, however there are a couple of complications. The pipe has to pass through my rear property which is higher up then the main property (we are on a hill) and at this time I have not decided on whether to dig out the open basement. The entry point for my property is also on an external wall. Now the regulations state dig a trench 750mm below ground level and 750mm within the property external wall before coming up.
Now my preferred jorney would be 750mm underground from the street, which would mean 200mm above ground in my rear property. Hang the pipe on the wall to the yard, then into a 750mm deep trench to my main property. where it would come up 100mm outside my property and into the connection. This latter connection would be boxed in externally in a timber cupboard.
The former position could be changed once the rear building work starts, i.e. if we dig it out, we will have to dig 1.5 meters down, and then take the water main down below that.

The water guy mentioned you can now get such good insulation that this should be possible to have above ground poritions?

basically I'm wondering if this is going to be possible or do I have to dig a trench in the rear building and probably end up digging it up again and moving the pipe in the future.

hope that makes sense, if you need some drawings let me know I'll try and get some up.
Sponsored Links
Do whatever the person who is going to inspect and sign off is happy with. You'd need waterproof insulation or it'll turn into a very effective freeze jacket in the winter
Sponsored Links
I don't understand the OP's description.

Its as if he does not appreciate that the water pipe should always be at about 750 mm min below ground. But it does not have to be horizontal and can follow the contour of the ground if required.

If possible its always better if it can be on an inclined slope so that it can be easily drained if necessary.

I think the drawings may be required, having re read the initial post I am now confused as to how this new service is to be run....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links