stopcock frost protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour is doing major building/landscaping work. As part of this he is renewing the mains feed to his property. My own mains comes across his front garden (parallel with his), round the side of his house, round the back, and then enters my rear extension. As the mains pipes are old (narrow guage copper), and as my neighbour is in any case digging new trenches, it makes sense to renew my own supply as well. The cost to me will be materials only.

However his builder is proposing to bring the new pipe through my wall, about 6 inches above ground level, and connecting to my internal pipes, bypassing the existing stopcock. The existing feed comes through the wall below ground level and up through the floor.

Presumably this means the pipe will exposed outside where it comes out of the ground before coming through the wall.

Should I insist the new pipe enters my property below ground level, or is there a way to protect the pipe from frost outside?

Sponsored Links
The regs clearly say a minimum off 750mm cover, and 750mm measured from the outside wall to where it rises in the building.

So assuming it's legal and being inspected, that is what the water supplier will be looking for.

best way to do it is to bring it in 760mm under ground to minimise frost risk, it can enter above ground but it is the easy way out, and needs to be properly protected, the spec used to be cover pipe in 100mm thick insulation inside 110mm PVC pipe, the work involves digging up right up to your wall so insist you want it done properly (or dig up the last bit and cut through the wall yourself so it gets done

Sponsored Links
The regs clearly say a minimum off 750mm cover, and 750mm measured from the outside wall to where it rises in the building.

So assuming it's legal and being inspected, that is what the water supplier will be looking for.

Not sure I understand: '750 mm cover'... what?

So it HAS to come in underground? Or is Kirkgas's solution legal/acceptable?

the depth of a water main is 760mm, and it should enter into the property 610mm before it rises, the external method i described was how we used to do it, it was def to local authority spec. (then) are you saying the spec has changed and it MUST enter the prop under ground?

you can enter the property above ground and you can also have a mains water supply less than 750mm now
if you use the insulated breaker box.

Thanks Seko,
I've googled "insulated breaker box" but just find electrical box references. What is the definition of an insulated breaker box in the current scenario?

their is two parts to the ground breaker the bottom part ( insulduct) that can be used as a direct route into the house above ground.
or use the added top part (groundbreaker) aswell if you want it to house a water meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back