Rerouting water pipe into house (lead replacement)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My appologies that I am bringing up the lead pipe replacement subject again. I have read previous threads on this and other sites and none come close to solving my problem.

Sorry if the background drags on a bit.

I have purchased an end terrace 'villa' in South Wales, built about 1910 - 15. It is built into the side of the hill, with the front door about 3m above road level and the ground at the rear at first floor level. An alley runs along the side of the property (about 800mm wide), this has the gable end of the house to the right and a 500mm to 2500mm retaining wall to the left.

The terrace is four properties long with shared sewerage. This runs under the rear of the terrace and turns 90 degrees into my side alley at a depth of about 1000 - 1250mm depth. This sewer would have been 'adopted' in 2011 by Welsh Water. The inspection chamber at the 90 degree turn is in need of maintenance as the brickwork is bulging, Welsh Water have been notified.

For the first 1500mm of the alley the left hand side carries the incoming gas pipe (depth unknown).
The alley also contains the incoming lead water pipe. This appears, from test holes, to run just below the concrete path (100 - 150mm depth).

The route up from the front wall to the front of the house presents few problems as there is room for the new pipe to run next to the old.

We have consulted with Welsh Water who have said that they are happy for us to dig the trench, lay the pipe etc.
  • They just need to inspect the trench depth (750mm) and pipe before backfilling.
  • They will connect the pipe free of charge to their supply.
The problem we have is in replacing this existing water pipe.
As mentioned above the side alley is a bit busy for it's 800mm width, (footings for retaining wall, sewer, water pipe, gas pipe, gable end footing)!
Welsh Water want the new pipe 750mm down, 600mm below existing lead pipe.

Can I move the stopcock to inside the front door and take a copper pipe upto the ceiling and through to the kitchen that way?
At the moment I have both an internal and external stopcock at house level (3750mm above Welsh Water stopcock). Do I need to keep an external stopcock? and is any additional 'non return' valve required?

The answer to these questions, or suggesting other ways we can avoid digging the alley would be gratefully recieved, Thank you

Sponsored Links
I would go for the front option, once the pipe enters the house and goes through the stop cock it's up to you what you do as long as you use wras approved stuff.
Another option if 750mm earth is impractical is to make it up with Pipe insulation. As long as you have the equivalent then they should accept it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back