water supply in victorian era terraced house

Might be worth getting them out. If you cannot isolate your property in an emergency without turning everyone else off tell them you need your own stoptap. They should come out and fit you one of their nice new stoptap affairs in a plastic box. These come with plastic tails, so you could kill 2 birds with one stone here! They'll locate the main supply for you, and couple onto the existing lead either side of the new valve. You then know where the main is, can shut the supply to your property off, and have a nice plastic tail to couple to and run a new plastic service into the house :!: :p

Just make sure (if they fit a valve), its before the supply tees off on your property and not afterwards otherwise you'll still not be able to shut half the supply off..... :eek: I know of a property they went to to survey for a meter, decided it had to go internally where supply entered the house. Guy said there were 2 supplies, one into house, one to outside W.C. so needed 2 meters. I wasn't so sure, and checked. Turning stoptap off under the sink cut supply to W.C. as well, so had they fitted 2 meters, any water passing through the 2nd meter would have been charged for twice as it had already been measured on the 1st meter! Guy was sent back, not vey happy about it, but was forced to agree (after checking....) they did only need ONE meter......

Friends of mine found a leak under their floor, no-one (including A.W.!) knew where the stoptap was. A.W. came out and looked, (after trying to say it was groundwater...), and finally agreed there was a leak. Team duly turned up, excavated outside back door and fitted a new stopvalve box. It then aspired on further investigation (basically as although the supply was switched 'off' at the new valve, there was still an awful lot of water coming from somewhere....), the property was fed from a larger lead" 'rider main', running along the back of the houses. A.W. had fitted the stopvalve to the house supply, but there was a second feed to the position of the original outside W.C. The W.C. had been removed, and the floor concreted over to hide the evidence. The lead supply at been 'capped' by hammering the end flat and burying under the concrete. Must have been leaking for years...... :confused:

Sponsored Links
thanks hugh , i'll give that a try on monday :LOL:

If i tell them i'm interested in having a meter fitted, they'd have find out where the supply enters the property???

then i could always tell them i've changed my mind?

:LOL:

could be worth a try?

thanks hugh , i'll give that a try on monday :LOL:

If i tell them i'm interested in having a meter fitted, they'd have find out where the supply enters the property???

then i could always tell them i've changed my mind?

:LOL:

could be worth a try?

that may not work they have remote meters they can read by radio receiver that they connect to your mains anywhere after the branch before point off use

As big-all has said that idea may not work. They can (and do) fit meters on the rising main just above where it comes out the floor, but before any draw off's.

I'd still go with the stopvalve idea, tell them you wish to work on the plumbing and cant shut half the street off in order to do so, and secondly if there was a problem, then once again, you cant shut yours off without affecting the neighbours.

They can work on the service whilst it remains live, you cant really do that inside the house! ;)

Sponsored Links
I'd still go with the stopvalve idea, tell them you wish to work on the plumbing and cant shut half the street off in order to do so, and secondly if there was a problem, then once again, you cant shut yours off without affecting the neighbours.

They can work on the service whilst it remains live, you cant really do that inside the house! ;)
Wessex Water's response to exactly that predicament was to get a plumber in to freeze the pipe and fit our own stopcock (or perform whatever work was required). They said they were under no obligation to do so themselves (unless at my cost on request) and backed up their assertion with plenty of legislative quotation.

In the end someone turned half the street off but I didn't see who it was, ...your honour.

Mathew

Anglian Water have proved slightly more helpful in the past. They didnt have a lot of choice at my friends. We dug the floor up and found water, they did try wriggling out of it saying it was groundwater, but when we pointed out you could hear water running with every tap in the house off then they decided they might have to do something! Especially as even they had zero idea how to switch the supply off without shutting down the main feeding the entire street.... One of the neighbours works for them though which may have helped! :)

Its gotta be worth a go! :D

They finally answered my email :LOL:

As i put in the email that i was concerned with having 2 young children about lead in the drinking water as well as trying to trace the route the water takes into the house , a guy phoned this morning and said they'll come and test it , they'll also install a sampling tap?? at the place where the water enters the boundry.

I asked them could they also fit a external stopcock as being on a shared supply... if i had an emergency i'd have to cut off 15 other houses ,he said that shouldn't be a problem

someone from technical services will phone about tracing where the water enters my house they'll attach a machine that sends a signal through the pipe to trace it then stick a stopcock in to isolate my house...they didn't say anything about cost but i don't mind paying so long as i don't have to sell a kidney to pay for it :)

Maybe they're not completely useless after all :LOL:

fingers crossed :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back