Getting water supply pipe to the garden, on end of terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run a water pipe to supply my back garden. I live on end of a terrace house, neighbouring with the communal green area that stretches to the main road. I am wondering if just running a pvc pipe off a tap I already have in front of the house, placing it deep enough below the ground level, but still touching the brickwork of the house - is a usual way of doing it? I know that each lease has different rules and regulations, but I could not find anything in mine (that I could decrypt from the law speak), that would prevent me from doing that. Just wondering what my options are - any suggestions would be very welcome!

Sponsored Links
Any pipe run underground would need to be at least 750mm below the surface (actually between 750 > 1350mm) to satisfy the water regs. Is the tap in the front of the house an outside tap(bib tap)? If so you wouldn't usually use that for running a supply to the rear of the house.

Usual process would be to drill through the back wall and take a feed from the kitchen (or other) cold supply pipe onto a bib tap with a dbl check valve and attach to the rear wall.

Sounds like its a hose pipe but buried , cant see a problem, but with all the rain were having, begs the question,,WHY? :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, kitchen is in the front of the house, with pipes at the very front only, meaning we would need to run a pipe through the entire length of the house (kitchen elements + dining area in the way) to get to the back garden, thus not an easy option. The front (external) tap branches off the supply for the kitchen, so I would actually just add another branch for the back garden. And it would not be only for watering plants, mostly for washing various bits and bobs. My main concern is that I would be touching the communal green area, but seeing that people run all kinds of cables and pipes on the outside of their homes I hope that wouldn't be a problem!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back