Lead Pipe And Other Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The water pipe to my home is an old lead pipe which comes from under my neighbours extension. A 15mm copper pipe comes off this lead pipe then splits in two in the ground just inside my kitchen. One branch feeds my house the other goes under my kitchen and supplies my other neighbour (terraced housed)

The lead pipe is 25mm outside diameter does anyone know what would be its internal diameter?

The reason I ask is I thought about replacing the 15mm copper pipe coming from it that supplies my house with a 22mm.

More questions
Would it be benificial to replace the 15mm with 22mm to supply my house. ie would it increase the flow? would the pressure drop etc? The pressure is ok at the moment but was wondering if the change of pipe would make it better.

If the internal diameter of the lead pipe is less than the external diameter of a new 22mm pipe could the lead pipe be stretched to accommodate it?

I had the water tested ad its ok. I suspect that only parts of this supply are lead. The pipe runs along the back of the terraces and as people have modernised their properties they have probably replaced the lead pipe to their houses but not bothered to replace the pipe that continues to the neighbours down stream.

Sponsored Links
Better left alone!

You can only join to lead by a compression fitting.

No soldering allowed!

Tony

Best left alone if you ask me, if you turn the water off to make a new connection & you don't know what your doing you will leave a lot of people without water while you faff about.
Lead pipe was sized by its weight per yard, 5-7-9-11-13lb etc, the size you're quoting could be 11lb. The other thing is by doing what you suggest you will not be too popular with your neighbor as you could end up pinching his pressure everytime you run a tap.
The proper way to do this would be to run a 25mm PE pipe out to the front of the property & get the water company to give you your own dedicated supply, the connection in the street wouldbe free under the lead pipe replacement scheme.

It seems that in London they dont pay under the lead replacement program any more.

The water is dosed with phosphoric acid instead!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Best left alone if you ask me, if you turn the water off to make a new connection & you don't know what your doing you will leave a lot of people without water while you faff about.
Lead pipe was sized by its weight per yard, 5-7-9-11-13lb etc, the size you're quoting could be 11lb. The other thing is by doing what you suggest you will not be too popular with your neighbor as you could end up pinching his pressure everytime you run a tap.
The proper way to do this would be to run a 25mm PE pipe out to the front of the property & get the water company to give you your own dedicated supply, the connection in the street wouldbe free under the lead pipe replacement scheme.

When I turn on the water the neighbours pressure drops anyway and vice versa, probably been happening since the house was build.

Shame I didnt consider the water when I got the gas installed

A bit more info that I didnt mention. Theres a stop cock on the lead pipe outside which turns of mine and neighbour down stream. Dont think it affects houses after his as I suspect they have a newer pipe from the road. Also in my house there is a second stopcock attached to the 15mm copper pipe just after the branch to his house so only turns off my supply.

How would having a 22mm pipe after the stopcock affect my water supply. ie 15mm pipe -> stopcock -> 22mm pipe. Is it worth it? Will the flow increase and if so will it affect the pressure? I wont have to touch the lead pipe then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back