Stripping out lead pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Hope someone can give input.

I'm stripping out all the lead pipe in a small three bedroom property. The cold lead supply pipe and all cold water lead branch pipework to taps etc has a external diameter of just about 23mm. I guess this equates to a 15mm diameter copper pipe.

I intend to replace with 22mm copper pipe to the lead supply as it enters the house and use 15mm as the branches to wc and taps. Does this seem the way to go?.
I get the confusion because the original lead probably would have an internal diameter of about 15mm.

Would appreciate any guidance
Thanks

CC

Sponsored Links
Hi There
I did this last year for my brother in law.
Use 15mm speedfit plastic pipe under the floor and copper above to make it look fancy.Advantage of plastic is you can buy it in 25-50 metre rolls so this means less expense and less joins.Use John Guest speedfit as these are a very good manufacturer.Make sure you use the plastic inserts.
Regards
Grajam247

hi,use a lead-lock to convert from lead to copper 23mm is prob 7/8 of an inch lead so you need a 7/8-22mm leadlock,plastic is alot easier to install however its almost twice the price of copper and the fittings are silly money,dont forget to put a drain-off in somwhere at the lowest point and fit iso valves to all your taps/toilet etc etc........

kev.

Sponsored Links
Hi
Thanks for the advice. Am half way through it now. The lead lock joints work a treat. Trying to use plastic for most of it.
Thanks
Again
CC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back