Replacing lead - choosing copper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning the replacement of my lead cold water pipes from the stop tap up to the bathroom with the help of a geezer who knows how to wipe a joint. The lead has an outer diameter of about 7/8" - possibly a bit less with all the gloss scraped off

I'm wondering if 15mm copper is large enough bore to replace this lead: I don't know much about the intricacies of flow, pressure, etc. and it will be serving a toilet cistern, a bath, a sink and an electric shower (hopefully never all at the same time!).

Of course I can't see the inner diameter without cutting it and that's a bit late! I know that you get 7lb and 6lb lead but I don't have any samples of lead to compare with.

Should I use 22mm or 15mm?

Sponsored Links
eerrr , not allowed to use lead for soldering . buy a lead lok fitting

www.bes.ltd.uk/nav_graf/frames_cat.html

10270 3/8" x 5 lb lead to 15 mm compression £2.59

10271 1/2" x 6 lb lead to 15 mm compression £3.50

10272 1/2" x 7 lb lead to 15 mm compression £3.29

10273 3/4" x 9 lb lead to 22 mm compression £5.99

arf

arfurrrr said:
eerrr , not allowed to use lead for soldering . buy a lead lok fitting

I don't imagine anybody will be able to stop me :)

I have wiped joints all over the house: I wonder how the one I plan to do is any more dangerous than the others!

Sponsored Links
it is a water regulation , thought you were looking for the correct advice .

arf .

arfurrrr said:
it is a water regulation , thought you were looking for the correct advice .
No, just pragmatic advice :) although the correct advice is best (and I thank you for it arfurrrr).
I'm not a plumber, just a home owner so to me, one wiped joint is the same as another!
It would be useful to know the regs and the reasons behind them. Are they available online to us mortals?

not aware of any places where you can obtain it for free , but there are loads of sites offering the regs for sale .

or if you want further advice post it on here

Arf

msemtd said:
It would be useful to know the regs and the reasons behind them. Are they available online to us mortals?

presumably to stop lead poisoning/contamination

arfurrrr said:
not aware of any places where you can obtain it for free , but there are loads of sites offering the regs for sale .
Yup, as expected: everyone wants their share of my meagre paycheck!

Here's my general rant - feel free to ignore it! I'm trying to get informed and find out how not to create additional risk factors without breaking the bank. I know what the regulations forbid the use of lead but I have lead already! I can't afford to replace the lead service pipe from the water main to the house: I'd have to rip up a concrete drive and path, dig a deeper trench (because the building regs have changed :rolleyes: ), then make good. So there's a ton of lead before we get into the building which isn't going anywhere fast! And I guess that oxidised lead inner surface is arguably as dangerous as it's going to get so I think avoiding the use of any additional lead soldering and using one of those nightmarish lead-loc's is the right way to go.

I don't want my plumbsolvency issue to turn into an insolvency issue!
:LOL:

Soft water is more Pb. solvent than hard water ;)

My guess is a 7/8" OD lead pipe will have about an 1/8" thick wall, Therefore the bore will be about 5/8", or 16mm as the crow flies.
So 15mm will be the nearest available copper size, and probably adequate, but 22mm would be 'future proof' when the rest of the plumbing is upgraded, as you may find you then need a higher mains flow rate, say for a combi boiler etc. etc.

Working on lead pipe?........No comment!

My view is that the pipe is 1/2 in inside diameter and ideally suited to join up to 15mm copper.
The 1/2 in lead pipe will restrict the flow rate so I dont really see any point in increasing it to 22mm except near the bath to accomadate the bath tap. The amount of water discharged over a given period would be the same in both cases wouldn't it ?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back