Mains water supply pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new kitchen and whilst the room is empty I am considering replacing the old LEAD water supply pipe which comes in through the floor in the kitchen.

At the same time it would also be useful to re-position the entry of the pipe to enable easier access to the stop tap in the NEW kitchen.

The problem I have is that I believe the approval process for replacing lead pipes etc. can take a couple of weeks. With the kitchen ready for a new asphalt floor NOW i cannot wait for approval and wondered if there was any way of having the entry prepared ready for when approval is obtained otherwise I will just have to keep the old lead supply pipe.

One solution I thought of was if the "stopcock" on the supply pipe was situated outside rather than inside the building then the supply pipe could perhaps enter the building through the wall rather than the floor.

Does anyone know if this is possible and if permitted by the water authorities?

Sponsored Links
entry into the building has to maintain the regulation 750mm.

why not run the pipe to outside at the required depth and fit the stopcock in the new position, it can then be swopped over later, leave the pipe coilup outside ready, you could even tale it to the boundry but don't back fill as water supplier will want to inspect it.

Thanks for your quick response.

What is regulation 750mm? Does this mean that the supply pipe needs to be at 750mm depth under ground and therefore has to enter the building through the floor?

As for fitting a new stopcock and supply pipe, this sounds like a very good idea. After approval the new piping fitted to the existing both inside and outside. However, do the water authorities specify "WHERE" the pipe should enter the property and for example, the dimension from the internal wall that the pipe should enter?

fester said:
However, do the water authorities specify "WHERE" the pipe should enter the property and for example, the dimension from the internal wall that the pipe should enter?

Yes they do and they won't connect up a supply if its not done to the letter. Call them up and ask them to send you a pamplet on water connections.

Sponsored Links
had it checked out. the pipe has to be at a minimum depth under floor level of 750mm and must enter the house a minimum distance of 750mm from the external wall face. In other words, the pipe would come through the floor approx 450mm from internal wall face (middle of a cupboard). The approval process from united utilities takes about 2 weeks before you can start work. But I called in at their offices and spoke to a very helpful lady from the Lead and Common Supply Replacement scheme department who had my approval granted within 15minutes. Digging the hole tomorrow and getting it inspected on Friday. A refreshing change to be given this sort of assistance. Thanx to United Utilities and thanx to all who helped through this forum.

Sounds like unworkable regs or poor advice.

What are you going to do with the pipe and stop tap inside the cupboard ? Pipe work is supposed to be supported, this is generally achieved by clipping to the wall ! (back to the external wall in your case)

The relevant BS suggests that, if this minimum 750mm distance from the outside surface of an external wall can not be achieved (e.g. if the pipe enters the building at a corner were two external walls meet), the pipe can be insulated as it rises from its 750mm depth. The insulation should be continued until the pipe work enters the thermal envelope of the building. (I usually suggest that pipework inside kitchen cabinets adjacent to external walls is insulated, especially if the cabinets have a service void at the back).

The underground insulation should be waterproofed. If your internal pipework is 15mm, BS would suggest 20mm thickness, best quality foam insulation.

Could be a major headache if fitted kitchen cabinets go out of vogue in ten years time and the home owner wanted to redesign it.

united utilities carrying out inspection in morning. I will let you all know how I get on. As for changing kitchen in 10 years........ wife promised me that after spending sooooooo much money on it, it would NEVER go out of fashion. So I will never have to replace it, hehehe

I had the same problem with a new pipe and stopcock. Those awfully nice people from the water board wouldn't let me put it at the back of the kitchen cupboard where the old one was and I certainly wasn't having it at the front. In the end it went in the 'glory hole' under the stairs, just inside the door. It's not a bad slot really because the gas and electric shut-offs are in there too. (The only thing missing is an off switch for the phone!) Those awfully nice people also replaced their section of lead pipe for free and gave me a new outside stopcock to boot so I can't really complain.

got it sorted now.

Decided to follow the drawings and bury 750mm deep and 750mm from outside face of exernal wall on entry through kitchen floor. Managed to dig UNDER the house so not spoiling the new asphalt floor.

Inspector from united utilities came and said it was fine but could have had the entry right up against the wall if the sleeve covering the blue plastic water pipe was insulated to the right spec. As it happens it was insulated but what the hell. The pipe/stoptap will be inside a cupboard anyway even if 450mm from wall!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back