pipe size for water supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,
My lead supply pipe has started to leak underneath the kitchen floor and I've switched off the water supply in the street. Water supply co. offered to come and have a look in about 4 weeks and then connect to a new plastic feed (that i will install) in about 10 weeks. In the meantime we go into suspended animation without water - but at least we cut down on the lead poisoning.

Is there a standard diameter blue pipe to fit e.g.25mm or is there some other dependency that means a different diameter?

thank you

Pres

Sponsored Links
25 mm will be adequate for the average three bed semi with one bathroom and within 10 m of the street.

If you have an unvented cylinder and several bathrooms or the house is a long way from the street then a larger pipe might be better as they cost little more. The larger pipe is to reduce the resistance of the pipe even if the actual connection in the street is a smaller size.

It all depends on the circumstances.

Tony

Sponsored Links
absolutely nothing wrong with lead pipes,

i have been drinking from them for 30 odd years

and my brain function is hcjsfhorogrwigpo;qrwkpv'jh341ulig'jvj;nbg`401og3ihjvn;vkkg4309oluig'hb3[vhgncvrqkj#p4olgkrhdvndcm,/'E4WTY4IHGJ'FEMCVNBG4[283EUFG'JWNVG42FEUV iffoweffp2t

fine!

Thanks for the updates.

House will have two bathrooms, three toilets and sinks plus all the kitchen paraphernalia a modern domestic could ask Jimmy Saville for. Distance from street is about 10m.

As for lead pipe safety - I've never trusted lead pipe since it was a mainstay of the Cluedo murder weapon arsenal. I don't remember Professor Plumb drinking through it though.

cheers
Pres

As mentioned above, go for 32 mm as the total price of the job will only be about 1% more than getting a 25 mm pipe. Better have it and not need it.......
I always oversize pipes, and on more than 1 occasion I would have been up the creek if I had stuck with the minimum requirement, due to incoming supply problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back