New water supply pipe what size feed into boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Need a little help here and very new to all of this.

We have a Victorian house and are struggling with low water flow, although pressure is ok. We want to have a decent thermostatic shower. Currently it is on a common supply pipe and we are house number 5 and it has a combi boiler. The (hopeful) solution we settled on was a new water supply pipe.

A new 25mm MDPE pipe has been put in and is going to be connected to the water main. We thought it would be best to feed the new water supply into the boiler to deliver it the greatest flow rate.

The plumber came this morning to fit the internal stop tap and make the connection into the house system.

He has connected the 25mm supply pipe onto a 15mm copper pipe, which then runs to a T junction and splits into 2 x 15mm pipes, one which supplies the boiler and the other which supplies the rest of the house cold.

Given that we want maximum water flow to the boiler and also to stop the problem with flushing toilets/taps/washing machine at the same time, should he have run 22mm pipe up to the T junction?

Have attached a photo. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5530.JPG
    IMG_5530.JPG
    415.7 KB · Views: 457
Sponsored Links
I have connected the new pipe and opened it up.

New flow rate at the kitchen tap (i think it's the 1st tap) is 15l/min cold and 10l/min for hot.

Definitely an improvement, but wasn't as fast or powerful as I was expected. The hot rate I understand is limited by the boiler, but the cold?

Any thoughts? Decent enough to run a thermostatic shower?

Sponsored Links
Single Shower will be fine with 10l+ hot , the hard part will be getting it hot enough quick enough, 15mm short length is ok, it's the long distance that's the important bit.

19mm id x long distance plus 12mm id x short distance is not much more than 19x slightly longer distance plus nothing.
The 15mm tee probably provides more resistance then the short leg of 15mm pipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back