Pipework for megaflo megaflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post so please bear with me.

I am currently renovating a 1960's house and am planning to install a totally new plumbing system througout. My intention is to install a megaflo and boiler in the loft. To ensure a sufficient flow rate I am installing a new 35mm mdpe water main from the stop tap in the pavement and arranging for Veolia to connect from the stop tap to the main.

I just about grasp the principals of pipe diameter, flow rate and pressure so my question is this....(once the mdpe pipe is in the house I will be running everything in copper)

Would I be better off running a single 28mm copper pipe up to the megaflo in the loft and teeing off it for the cold water supplies to the various installations. Or, would it be better to split the pipe somewhere near the point of entry and run separate 22mm pipe for the megaflo and another for the cold water supplies?

Finally would there be any advantage in running the supply to the megaflo in 25mm MDPE? if so is there a manifold/connection which would connect onto a 35mm MDPE with 1 port allowing connection to 25mm MDPE and the other allowing connection to 22mm Copper.

Any other tips or advice would be welcome

Sponsored Links
Hi
Best you get some in who is qualified to do it. Or better still take the course yourself?

Not really the kind of reply I am after!

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I will be running the water pipe in preparation for a plumber to come in and fit the cylinder and boiler.

Installing unvented cylinders should be done by someone who had got the appropriate qualification and then notified to Building control.

Its best to take the 32mm directly to the cylinder and then take the cold feed to showers from the balanced pressure take off.

It all depends on what water use you have in the house !

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile,

Are you saying it would be best to run the 35mm MDPE right up to the loft then bring it all the way back down to the various outlets such as the kitchen sink?

If the routing was there I would take the 32mm to the loft. If the flow rate was good then I would take the cold to downstairs outlets as a tee off the 32mm downstairs.

Supplies to balanced outlets should be from the cylinder controls.

Tony

As Agile says, you need to treat your cold water in 2 ways. For showers they should run back to the Megaflo and terminate to the cold water combination valve. Taps can be fed directly from your rising main just like normal.

thanks, i think i get that.
Just to confirm, i'll run a single pipe up to the loft and t into that for toilets and taps to sinks and baths. everything coming out from the megaflow will be done by the plumber.

Going back to my original question and from the answers above, there is no need to split the supply near the point of entry and having a single dedicated supply pipe upto the loft with another supplying the fittings?

I'm sure you're plumbing/heating engineer will bring the 32mm poly main into a cupboard area downstairs with all necessary stop cocks/NRVs/DCs , from here he will feed main supply to downstairs cloakroom/sink unit/outside tap etc , he/she :mrgreen: will take the mains into loft space (22mm) (don't like boilers/USU in lofts :rolleyes: ) feeding hot water storage with balanced supplies to bathroom/s..................................simples :p..............why you would take the 32mm into loft area is beyond me..............

ironman, thanks for that.

could i ask why you dont like the boiler and cylinder in the loft? we are doing it to save on space, but if there is a compelling reason we could install elsewhere.

ironman, thanks for that.

could i ask why you dont like the boiler and cylinder in the loft? we are doing it to save on space, but if there is a compelling reason we could install elsewhere.

You don't want to know how many times i've had to scramble into a loft to service/repair boilers/cylinders..............................ok if the loft area has good light , a fully boarded floor , acceptable head height & a purpose made loft ladder................. very difficult trying to lift toolbag into loft space off a pair of step ladders. :p ...............................also not very comfortable lying on you're back with a lead light getting tangled up around yer legs :rolleyes: .....................rules & regs for installing boilers in loft area , i assume you're going to adhere to these? ;)

I can guarantee if you ask an RGI to come service that boiler & mention it's in the loft area the phone will go silent............ :mrgreen:..........cost may double too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ;)

Is a no brainer to have a dry loft and then go and make it wet by fitting a boiler and UV cylinder there. The you have a long wait for water to reach the hot taps when tap run. If space was an issue, well then loft is an option but I would be thinking of utility room or the garage as suitable sites fir these appliances.

I would stop the MDPE at the stop valve and then 22 copper to cylinder. Feed to cold after the combination valve.

OP, do not be tempted to DIY. Have been to plenty where the end users have done it thinking they have done a good job- but even pros make a co*kup. Check certification before you let anyone carry out the work

I get called to repair boilers in the loft sometimes and I never put the phone down on callers however mad they are. That would be very rude.

The only thing that I do insist on is is a ladder that rests on the edge of the loft hatch. A simple question I have is "can YOU get into the loft?". Its amazing how many expect me to get into a loft when they cannot!

Tony

I get called to repair boilers in the loft sometimes and I never put the phone down on callers however mad they are. That would be very rude.

I did'nt say 'put the phone down' :rolleyes: ................you seem to be the 'perfect' plumbing & heating engineer by the way you post :p .........i'd very much like to see some of you're installs...........are you a QUALIFIED plumbing & heating engineer? , some of you're posts suggest otherwise ......where did you serve you're time?

I did'nt say 'put the phone down' :rolleyes: ................you seem to be the 'perfect' plumbing & heating engineer by the way you post :p .........i'd very much like to see some of you're installs...........are you a QUALIFIED plumbing & heating engineer? , some of you're posts suggest otherwise ......where did you serve you're time?

waiting......................................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back