MDPE Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I need to replace the supply to my house and have a number of questions.

I had a new water meter fitted last year but the water board fitted it to the existing lead pipe which comes into my house approx 3m and then continues in 15mm copper.

Since I am in the process of renovating the house I think now is a good time to replace the copper and lead pipe with MDPE as although the pressure is fine the flow rate is abismal and you need a good flow rate for a combi.

So my questions are:

1) I am going to need the water board to connect to the meter end but what size MDPE do I buy? I'm guessing 20mm or 25mm or does it not matter? 25mm would be better for flow but can it be connected to ther water meter?

2) The other end will obviously be a stopcock but what is the best one to buy? I've read a few places that there are different fittings for MDPE so do I buy ones with grabrings or without? What are the best fittings?

3) It appears that most stopcocks have MDPE connections of 20/25mm and copper connections of 15/22mm but which copper connection is recommended? I would assume there is no problem with a 22mm connection?

4) How you fit a MDPE stopcock I guess would depend on which one you buy, but am I right in thinking that you cut the pipe to length, add a pipe insert (to strenghten the pipe) and then assemble the fitting with or without grabring (if present)? Are there any problems to watchout for or any knacks to doing these fittings?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
25mm MDPE will be fine for a combi. You can actually get larger sizes which are usually used for high flow unvented cylinder installations.

I would recommend using an approved plumber to make the connection to the meter and laying the pipe etc as this has to be done to regulation and an approved plumber should also be cheaper than one from the water company.

However your water company will have a list of approved plumbers on their website for you to contact.

Pete

Ask the water supplier, they may do a free lead replacement service.

You may need to do the dig though.

Thanks guys :)

I'll have a look at the water boards website and / or give them a phone to see what they have to say.

Sponsored Links
tell them you have a lead pipe all the way to the meter and ask them to come and test the lead content in the tap water.

unless it is very low they will have to replace their bit and may contribute to the cost of replacing your bit as well. It will certainly be very nuch easier to connect your new pipe to new blue poly, than to old lead. I went through the same thing a few weeks ago.

If they are replacing their bit, and you dig a 750mm trench beforehand, and provide your new poly pipe and a stopcock, there is a good chance the fitters can be persiaded to connect it for you.

I would recommend using an approved plumber to make the connection to the meter and laying the pipe etc as this has to be done to regulation and an approved plumber should also be cheaper than one from the water company.

Why so? I dug the trench and laid the pipe and made the connections myself 25 years ago, and haven't had a problem.

Why so? I dug the trench and laid the pipe and made the connections myself 25 years ago, and haven't had a problem.

Because if the meter is in the pavement, your not allowed to dig it up. :cool: but then neither is a plumber.

I connected to the blue poly just after the street meter box in the pavement.

But then I burrowed under the pavement from my side!

Not the recommended solution though!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back