British Gas Loft Insulation Caused Dampness Please Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we had both our wall and loft insulated by British Gas who called out a third party company to carry out the work back in May 2008. All was happy until a few weeks later when we slight dampness on our wallpaper high up in the corner of our stair landing where we have a huge wall We also noticed a crack which is getting slightly bigger. The wallpaper started peeling a few months after.
We also noticed two of our upstairs store rooms had also been damp causing the usual patches, peeling etc. Our downstairs store room was the same except it was leaking and a hole had appeared which gradually grew to about 2-3cm. The dampness was all on the front side of the house. I checked the loft and the insulation material which they had laid down was wet on touching it.
We called the company resposible and having checked the loft and damage they concluded that there was not enough ventilation in the loft which caused water drip down the felt causing the damage. They said they would rectify this by putting in these ventilation things (sorry dont know what there called) and this should solve the problem.

We are angry as our wallpaper has been ruined. The designs runs most of downstairs and upstairs apart from the rooms if you know what I mean. We didnt keep any spare rolls and it was only put up 2-3 years ago and still looks new apart from where it has peeled and been damp.

Most of our linen was thrown away including curtains, bed sheets, rugs etc as the dampness had made it unusable and the smell wouldnt go away no matter how much we washed.

We just want to know who is at fault. We dont know what to do or where to go. We got in writing that because no ventilation was fitted this caused condensation which caused dampness and leaking resulting from damage to walls and ceiling etc. We got this signed and dated by the company.
They have said they will install the ventilation things for free. But we are not happy as would have to re-wallpaper the whole upstairs/downstairs re-plaster the store room ceilings etc etc We have a four bedroom house semi detached and it was built around the eighties and we have never had any leakings/dampness prior to this. In fact we had a roofer to double check our roof for any damage etc and non was found.

Sponsored Links
Hi. Sorry to here of your troubles. I once had a client who wanted compensation as their piano needed tuning after i had fitted central heating for them. Nothing is for nothing in this world, the physics dictate that. We all wish to save the planet or money (not sure which is the real motivator) and without a bit of ventilation the result you are experiencing often occur. If you have house hold insurance claim for the damaged caused. Eg. making good, decoration, new sheets etc. And get the painters and decorators in. Good Luck

What I dont understand is why isnt ventilation considered as part of loft insulation. Why is it ignored and in our case ignored to the point where it has caused much damage.
Isnt there a procedure in place to as part of loft insulation that covers the ventilation side of things.

...We also noticed a crack which is getting slightly bigger. ...... Our downstairs store room was the same except it was leaking and a hole had appeared which gradually grew to about 2-3cm...
I don't see that either of these can have anything to do with loft insulation. It does not cause cracks or holes.

Loft insulation will not cause damp in a downstairs room.

It is however possible, but rare, if the house is damp, for condensation to occur within insulation, or for insulation to block up draughts which previously let damp air escape. If it is laid tight to the edges of a loft it can block eaves ventilation (but fitters should know that) and if there is a lot of moisture in the unventilated loft, yes, it will condense on the felt. But it will not make the downstairs damp.

Damp in houses is very often caused by the activities of the residents (sorry) for example if you drape wet washing about the house, or don't use extractor fans during and after showers and baths, the house will never be dry unless it has a vast amount of draughts and ventilation.

What sort of windows do you have?

Sponsored Links
We have upvc windows. Had them for several years now. It only started after we had the insulation done. Before this all was fine. Never had a single problem.

Not sure how you getting on with this one but I would suggest you contact British Gas direct as that is who your contract is actually with.

If you involve them now it will be more beneficial as they will carry out their own investigations into the problem and identify solutions to it.

Were the subcontracted company registered to carry out the work?

What guarantees did you get from BG?

It may be worth speaking to someone in your local buiding control office or a builder?

Best of luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back