British Housing Stock - 1960s

Might be of interest.

Yes that's a food one -- I can recommend it, too. I think I watched it fairly recently actually. Some of the issues identified in that video are covered in the "Great British Housing Disaster" film, where contractors talk about missing out bolts and stuffing voids with rubbish.

Sponsored Links
My mother-in-law used to live in a 1950-built ex-corporation house, built with concrete slabs filled with pebbles. Can't remember what the design name was, but it was exhibiting the some of the same problems as the housing stock it replaced!

Airey built. Prefabricated and no insulation and near impossible to heat in the cold weather.

Is that why thathcer sold off the public housing stock at such a good discount, sub standard construction?

Blup

Sponsored Links
Is that why thathcer sold off the public housing stock at such a good discount, sub standard construction?

Blup

No worse that the private housing stock and in many case it was better. Idea was a good one of increasing private ownership and cutting the costs for councils in maintaining homes - people look after property they own, better than property they rent, so it reduces costs overall. In some areas that worked very well. Problem was - no money was then spent on replacement of social housing.

Back