Britony combi noise and pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Up until 8 am this morning my boiler was working great, but after I opened up the kitchen tap this morning boiler started making a huge knocking noise and groaning loudly.

The water never heated up but the boiler cut itself out. I asked the wife to run the tap while I watched the boiler and the boiler started, burner lit ran for a few second there pressure started bouncing all over. Eventually it cut itself out but the water remained ice cold.

I tried the heating, the boiler lit, not as much noise but no hot water from the ch out pipes. It's as if the hot water isn't making it out of the boiler so was thinking pump?

After dhw problems before xmas an engineer changed the pcb, drained the system and added antifreeze inhibitor and it has run perfect and silent until this morning.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I'm not a gas bod but do have a Britony and that groaning noise on mine came from my fan. I'm guessing (and it's just a guess) that your fan bearings have failed. Just a guess mind.

Thanks for the reply joe.

I turned the boiler on all dhw is working. Not sure on ch as we are filling the bath while we have the chance.

As the boiler is running it does sound as if there is air gurgling around the pump. Is there a way to release this air, and could this stop the pump from starting up?

Have you checked the obvious things like pressure in the system? All pumps sound like they've got bubbles in them, you 'd have to ask yourself where the air came from on a sealed system, and how that could cause a groaning noise.

I suppose it could be the pump bearing that have gone - where does the noise emenate from?

Sponsored Links
The noise was definitely from the pump.

After running the bath I put the central heating and all radiators have warmed up very quickly, and the boiler is quiet. After the little'n finished her bath my wife went in the shower and the water was hot and again the boiler was very quiet.

There is no loss of pressure and I haven't had to top up pressure since work was carried out.

As you've said it's strange to have air in a sealed system but all is working for now. Could an air lock in the pump stop it from getting going in the first place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back