Britony Combi 80 makes a strange noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
For my sins I have a Britony Combi 80 which has started to make a very load groaning noise after a period of drawing hot water. It only seems to do it if the water has been on for more than a couple of minutes and does it once the tap is switched off.

Has anybody got any ideas??

Cheers.
Simon.

Sponsored Links
its probably the latent heat in the boiler unable to circulate out of the secondary heat exchanger. i had 1 with a VERY loud knocking and banging after shower was used for +15mins.

i checked gas valve at high and low rate were correct which they weren't, needed dropping on high rate, removed both primary and secondary heat exchangers, descaled them. cleaned the by-pass pipe, cleaned the pipe to the expansion vessel and checked vessel charge, replaced seals where needed and re-fitted.

sorted.

basically get a corgi engineer in to deal with it!

Thanks.

Has anyone had any experience of the British Gas repair service. On the web site it asks me to put my postcode in ( GL15 6HE) and it gives me a quote of £156 inc parts and labour.

This doesn't sound like a bad price.......... is there a catch??

Sponsored Links
probably a catch somewhere BUT if you get it sorted and all those things checked/done for £156. thats a good price.

it depends on who they send though, if the guy doesn't know what he is looking for, he may try and find a clause to get out of dealing with it.

best bet is to describe what you have, describe the information you've been given, and request that they garentee to do the minium things, I.E, check gas pressure/rate, check/clear heat exchanagers, check/clear blocked by-pass/expansion vessel pipe.

Thanks.

I really don't want to have to spend a fortune cos I am moving house in 6 weeks....... these things seem to happen at the worst time.

Can anyone recommend anyone in my area who would offer a good price. I am near Lydney in Gloucestershire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back