Britony Combi SE noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Britony Combi SE, sounds like a passing Spitfire when hot water is turned on.
I have posted on this subject in the past but due to personal difficulties I have been unable to get to my caravan since August. After various visits from several plumbers it seems that descaling is the recommendation, but they all wish to replace the secondary heat exchanger at an average cost of £200!!! which seems excessive.
Is it not possible to descale the existing unit or even the whole boiler by introducing some sort of descaling fluid to the system. I feel competant enough to strip down the water side of the boiler, so would it be possible to drop the heat exchanger in to a bucket of descaling fluid and do it that way, or is it just easier to replace it. (recommendations for a good descaler would be appreciated.)

Sponsored Links
After various visits from several plumbers it seems that descaling is the recommendation, but they all wish to replace the secondary heat exchanger at an average cost of £200!!! which seems excessive.
It isn't excessive at all.

Is it not possible to descale the existing unit or even the whole boiler by introducing some sort of descaling fluid to the system.
The likeliness of success depends on the degree of the scaling and the mineral content.

I feel competant enough to strip down the water side of the boiler, so would it be possible to drop the heat exchanger in to a bucket of descaling fluid and do it that way
No. You have to run dilute acid over the scale in order to dissolve it. In some cases the scale is so bad that there is too little flow for this to work.

or is it just easier to replace it.
Replacing isn't "easier", but it's:

1. guaranteed to work;
2. the quickest remedy.

If you want a heating engineer to descale it for you, then just tell him/her that you don't mind if it doesn't work.

Many thanks for sound advice on descaling, so it looks like a replacement heat exchanger, now to work out which one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back