broadband but no phone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
was at a customers house today when they relised there phones were not working. checked every point with a cordless and a plug in landline phone and was not getting a dial tone on either. i then tried ringing the house phone but it said that it was engaged even when there were no phones pluged in. started to think it must be the incoming line but relised that the broadband was still working. so was totally lost rang up talk talk they did a line check which came up clear, they said they would send an engineer out but if it turned out to be a problem in the house they would charge my customer. any ideas on anything i could be missing?

Sponsored Links
Firstly the broadband will still work if you have a fault on the line.....it sounds as though you have a receiver off or loop on the line if its coming up with engaged tone or possibly the router thrown a tantrum....check at the nte5 ..take the front plate off and plug a phone into the test port and if all is ok there cancel openreach or its a £120 callout bill

sorry not used to all the tech lingo so bare with me, nte5 would that be the incoming outlet, test port??? sorry have no idea where it is. open reach???? dont really know what that is. just seemed strange that everything was ok before and all of a sudden this happens. thanks for any help

i've googled the nte5 and test port so now know what were talking about. i did plug the phone into the test port it gave me a sort of dial tone, by that i mean it was the same sound but it wasn't a solid beep instead it kept cutting off at regular intervals.

Sponsored Links
They have probably diverted the calls if you have reported a fault,#21# will remove this,or its 1571 with a message waiting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back