Broadband connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Can anyone help with an on-going broadband connection problem ?

I have a Normal BT landline which at times works fine, but frequently I lose my broadband connection for days at a time.

During this period, my phone line works normally but with some interferance (I can hear my computer trying to get on-line).

By getting a dial tone on my (cordless) phone, my broadband connection then starts, but only whilst I keep my phone active and at a very low download rate. I have good modern equipment with recommended filters on both phone and DSL lines.

When I contact BT they tell me there is no fault with my line and that
the problem is with my equipment.

My friend bought his laptop and modem to my home and the problem was still evident.

I am totally fed up. Any ideas or suggestions ?

Alsuffolk

Sponsored Links
Get a BT engineer out to check the line. If you've checked your equipment and tested with extension wiring disconnected then there's no point messing about as you've shown the fault isn't your side.

We recently had a fault cleared (noise on the line, dsl sync loss - BT's online line checker (same as the one the callcenter uses) returned no faults present), turned out to be a fragile wire in the exchange, the engineer spent about half an hour here testing things, then checked every connection from here to the exchange, then finally the equipment in the exchange and found the duff wire.

Have you any phone points apart from the main BT one? - I had similar issues & when I traced the in-house cabling I found a right rat's nest...if all the points don't daisy chain from 1 to another than you will get issues. (& it's best to connect router to main BT socket anyway in theory)
As previous poster said... disconnect all internal house phone cabling from BT master socket & retry.... if issues remain it's outside your house [OR you've got some software set wrongly I guess but that seems unlikely.]

ps by disconnect i mean physically pull the internal wires from the BT master socket..gently... leaving only the BT line wires in place. It was only by doing this I proved I had an internal issue since the fault disappeared if no internal wiring was connected. Just removing phones from sockets is NOT enough

pps a plastic BT cable push to reinsert the cables is a useful tool but careful pushing with a tiny screwdriver is ok but don't strain the connection!

These folk do useful kit if decide to replace bits 'n pieces..
http://www.solwise.co.uk/telesun.htm

The following is a list of items that have been found to interfere with broadband signals:
[source :- http://www.gradwell.com/howtopdf/372.pdf ]

Halogen lamps.
Fluorescent lights.
Scanners.
900 MHz cordless phones.
Some Mobile Phones.
AM or Home Built Radios.
Dial Up Modem, Fax, or other non standard device on the telephone line.
Microwave oven.
Broadband modems connected to telephone extension cables.
House security/Alarm system
The PC or peripheral devices (scanners, external drives etc.) if the modem is located on top of or directly beside
these devices.
Central heating thermostats.
Christmas tree lights (yes really!)

If your master socket is an NTE5, then you can remove the two faceplace screws and pull the half-face off, which will disconnect all internal wiring and expose a test socket.

Plug your modem directly into this test socket and see what happens.

If it works, the problem IS in your house, be it your wiring, a faulty filter, or a faulty telephone/device.

If it doesnt, then tell BT you've done the above and it still doesnt work.
, effectively proving its in their equipment.

Sponsored Links
Contact your service provider and ask for a open reach engineer to do a SFI health check and a pair quality test,this is a indepth test done from the nte using the B.T hawk tester a laptop and the remote emulation equipment in the exchange,if it passes that there will be no problem on your line,the rat test they do when you ring up is a very basic test not a pair quality test which is soon to be the new standard.My guess would be a high resistance disconnection(an educated guess)
P.s do you know how far you are from your local exchange ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back