Broken a dry wall advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've broken a dry wall by leaning on it (yes, really). I think it's damp damaged as on the other side of the wall is the shower which isn't really well insulated. The paper was peeling off anyway and it feels very damp.

See below (can't seem to get the embedding to work):

//www.diynot.com/network/user_album_update.php?album_id=22068
or here
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/qmtucx74g3br88b/AADjuqTSCx81CCH-0Q4yiBYda

I can reach behind the plaster board from underneath and behind as there is a hole in the skirting board; so I could conceivably push the plaster board back out and then paint over it. It wouldn't fix the problem but it would make it look presentable while I save up to fix it properly.

My questions are:

1) Can I push the plasterboard back out without damaging it further?
2) Are there any techniques to aid pushing it back out intact e.g. cutting it first?
3) Would the plasterboard be weakened by being dampened by a shower?
4) I'm getting quotes on getting it replaced but unsure of the builders I'm hiring. Does anyone have any experience of something similar and give me a indication of how much it would cost?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert

Sponsored Links
Answers:
1) - Unlikely
2) - A hefty kick (not recommended)
3) - Yes, very much so.
4) - You cannot construct a shower out of plasterboard. It soaks up water and crumbles in next-to-no time. Inevitable epic fail.
You must use a water resistant material (I assume you're tiling the panel anyway).

An excellent product for this is sold by Wickes - Knauf Aquapanel.
Use that to construct the shell and it will take tiling directly on it.
You can use the existing studding that currently holds your plasterboard and screw the Aquapanel on to it. Use the special ceramic coated (green looking) screws made for this for permanent protection from corrosion in a "wet" environment.

You can just saw the panel and fix directly so that bit isn't expensive. The panel probably isn't cheap, but believe me, its worth it.
Can't really help with pricing o/all as its been a few years since I did a job like that.

Answers:
1) - Unlikely
2) - A hefty kick (not recommended)
3) - Yes, very much so.
4) - You cannot construct a shower out of plasterboard. It soaks up water and crumbles in next-to-no time. Inevitable epic fail.
You must use a water resistant material (I assume you're tiling the panel anyway).

An excellent product for this is sold by Wickes - Knauf Aquapanel.
Use that to construct the shell and it will take tiling directly on it.
You can use the existing studding that currently holds your plasterboard and screw the Aquapanel on to it. Use the special ceramic coated (green looking) screws made for this for permanent protection from corrosion in a "wet" environment.

You can just saw the panel and fix directly so that bit isn't expensive. The panel probably isn't cheap, but believe me, its worth it.
Can't really help with pricing o/all as its been a few years since I did a job like that.

Thanks for this, you confirmed what I expected.

The dry wall itself isn't the making the actual shower although it is on the wall behind it.

I shall definitely have a look at the Aqua panel and the ceramic screws - thanks for the tip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back