Damp chimneybreast - dry lining?

XDJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have damp patches up to about 12 inches above floor level around disused internal wall downstairs rear chimney breast. The flue is metal lined (back boiler removed?) and is well ventilated top and bottom. The fireplace and some of the brickwork around it shows 'salting', but the surrounding floor seems dry as does the constructional hearth. I don't know about the state of the adjoining house.

Both front and rear rooms will be skimmed by a pro - a job well beyond my capabilities - very soon as my partner is not prepared to be without the 'reception rooms' any longer (and after two years rebuilding the rest of the place I don't blame her :oops:). Leaving the wall to maybe dry out before replastering is not an option if I want jingling bells this Christmas.

What I'm considering is:-
  • opening up / repairing the fireplace;
  • cleaning the salting from the brickwork;
  • getting under the floor to check the damp course is not bridged;
  • talking to the old lady next door to see if water is coming in / up from her side!;:rolleyes:
  • leaving the fireplace empty for now but open as stack ventilation;
  • removing the damp plaster;
  • using fireline plasterboard on battens to both keep the plasterboard off of the damp wall, and allow air to circulate and hopefully dry the wall out.
I'm open to advice/ comments, suggestions or alternatives, but I can't plaster to save my life.

Sponsored Links
Leaving the wall to maybe dry out before replastering is not an option If you replaster it will never dry out.

Using fireline plasterboard on battens to both keep the plasterboard off of the damp wall, and allow air to circulate and hopefully dry the wall out Not sure about that as it could cause condensation and make it worse.

If the chimney flashing and roof are okay then I'm sorry you may have to live with it,haven't much time to go into details but see this for more info

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back