Tip on dry lining a cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a terrace with a reasonably dry cellar, brick floor and walls approx 15'x15'x7.
I have been hassled by the wife to turn it into another "useable" room.
How would one dry line it to expel any dampness.
I am thinking along the lines of a plastic membrane on the floor under a screed say 4" thick + insulation. Then line the walls with same. battens to carry plaster board, tape,fill and skim up. The question is wood batterns or galv steel?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't really matter because you will have Visqueen behind the battens creating a barrier from the walls and if you use stainless steel screws for the fixings it should be fine.Make sure there is a couple of airbricks in a prominant position though or better still fit an extractor fan to create a constant air change to the room.

thankx dazb, how high with the plastic i can see injected damp coarse just under the joists?
I guess we dont want to bridge that coarse.

Sorry for the delay.Been having a bad case of the NTL,s ( dodgy modem installation ) .Stop just short of your DPC to be on the safe side, although I have seen Visqueen continued to the joists and tucked under the new ceiling plasterboards with no ill effects. If the ends of your floor joists that sit into the wall aren't wrapped in DPC then try to wrap them (difficult) or at least inject them with a preservative.Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
thanx daz, thought so but us mechanics can get it wrong sometimes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back