broken gearbox- do I need to replace the whole strip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to the forum. I'm not trade but have a go at things, usually manage it after a few mistakes and much cursing. Today's problem is a broken gearbox, split level I've seen it called, the outside level works but inside is damaged. This was a micky mouse glazing company, via a mate, installed about 8 yrs ago and went pop 2 yrs later. Can't see any manufacturers marking. To get the gearbox off the strip it looks like major dismantling inside the works, I think (although not sure) the long latch plates (don't know correct name) can't be disconnected without moving bits aside within the gearbox, it looks achievable with careful recording of what has been done but...!! I have uploaded 2 photos.

Several questions. Is it best to replace the whole strip with all 3 gearboxes? In which case I have a wide range of choices, what's best for a DIY fitter such as I?

Other question: there are probably a few options about setting up the door operation. Although with a split level I suppose either side could be "inside" and operate the latch without using the key (key always required for outside). Other types probably have options for handing, operation without key from inside? I'm feeling/blundering my way here so any hints would be most helpful.

Thanks for reading this lot and even more thanks if you can suggest something. View media item 31142 View media item 31143 View media item 31142

Sponsored Links
Sometimes the gearboxes are removable and they'll be held on with little torx screws, if not then they're riveted on and are on for good in which case you'll need the whole strip.

If you can take the whole thing away try these guys.....

http://www.mdgrepairs.co.uk/contact-us.php

Don't know how close to you they are, tell em Tom from 'The Remedial co' told you to try them, i'm positive they will source one for you or even have it in stock

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back