Broken hearthstone first floor bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
where a fireplace has been blocked up in a first floor bedroom, there is a hearth set into the floorboards which is breaking up. This appears to be a screed of something, around 1" thick, laid over what is now rubble in the gap underneath. I would like to repair this and paint over (am painting the floorboards) but not sure how to go about it

IMG_0947.JPG

Sponsored Links
Such hearths were usually made from a single stone hearth piece.
Your hearth could be a screed of sand & cement - lift some of the pieces out & post a pic of whats underneath the surface layer?
What is supporting the "rubble"?
Is there any signs of disturbance on the ceiling below?

Note that your hearth is going under the skirting back into the fire opening.
Does the blocked off chimney flue have a vent inserted in the blocking material? It should.

Sponsored Links
There's no way to "repair" the broken stuff, neither should you want to "repair" it - its too fragile.
What exactly do you intend to do with this hearth and blocked fireplace - if anything?
I did ask a couple of leading questions above?

If you want to retain a hearth then come back but if you want to demolish it then also come back.

Think I might just demolish it and cut a piece of chipboard flooring to fit in the hole - too difficult to match the floorboards they're at a stupid angle. I'm painting the floor. Thanks for your help

There's no vent, but the fireplace was blocked up around 55 years ago. From feeling around the slab ends just under the skirting. The chimney stack has been removed and there's a range cooker and extractor in the opening downstairs. No damp in the chimney. I just want to make the floor sound

In that case: remove all the surface S&C, and the rubble below the surface, hoover it out, and then post a pic.
If you are lucky there will be a kind of platform below the rubble.
The new floor boards can be cut and laid to patch the old hearth footprint.

Ok, done:
IMG_4134.JPG IMG_4133.JPG IMG_4132.JPG
Bricks, not level. Joist just under the boards at the front, cut against the chimney breast. Bricks drop away by around 2" front and rear

Thanks for the new pics.

Leave the bricks alone.

You now have alternatives:

1. you can drive a few long screws or nails into the surrounding joist box (its known as trimming) leaving them sticking out.
You can then fill with a semi-dry concrete mix and smooth off the surface.

2. First, firmly fix a piece of say 2" x 4" across, almost below the skirting - this will act as a bearer for the new T&G boards.
You could then fix some 2" x 4" to the trimming joists - the 2" x 4" will act as support to pick up new T&G flooring.
Alternatively you could cut back the in-place flooring to sit half-way on the trimming joists - this will give bearing for the new flooring to be fixed to.
To do this first remove all nails and screws in the old boards.
Pilot hole your new screw holes to prevent splitting.

Thanks - I think I will go for the second choice, I'm happier with wood than cement!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back