Broken hinge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have some old Everest aluminium double glazed windows.
The hinge has rusted and broken on one. Will any similar hinge fit, or will I have go get a special type from Everest?
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.
These pictures are from another window that is the same type as the broken hinge one.

Attachments

• broken hinge 1.JPG
    broken hinge 1.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 92
  • broken hinge 2.JPG
    broken hinge 2.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 93
  • broken hinge 3.JPG
    broken hinge 3.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 96
Bog standard ' friction stay ' hinge , plenty on the likes of Ebay. You'll need to measure the length of the bit attached to the window frame to determine the size to order .. looks like 210mm or 250mm to me . Doesn't matter too much about the screw holes not being in the right place as you can drill new ones.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
Will I need to take the window out to fit the hinge? Sorry, but I don't know much about them.

yes you will need to remove the window sash, I'd remove the glass too if you have no one to help , just makes it a little lighter. Also always replace as a pair other wise you will have all sorts of issues with closing it!

Unscrew the sash from the frame, Once out close the hinges and measure how far they overhand the sash at the top.
Fit the new ones with the same overhang.

Unlikely the new hinge holes will line up with the old ones frame or sash (do try them up on the frame and mark/pilot drill new holes before fitting them to the sash).
You may have to take it out, Make adjustments and refit the sash a few times to get it working correctly so you will defiantly want a hand if you haven't done it before.

There are also 2 hinge stack heights (thickness, either 13mm or 17mm) you cant check this without taking the sash out.
What you can do though is buy 13mm hinges with packers encase they are needed

Thanks for the advice.
I have ordered some from Ebay. Ill get the wife to hold the window, if she stands on a chair.
I'll let you know how I get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back