Broken Mira Zest shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few day ago as I turned on the tap in the kitchen I heard a pop and then hissing noise coming from the shower in the nearby bathroom. The hissing was leaking water and i could see it seeping from the bottom of the shower unit (it had not been in use). I had to cut the water at the mains to stop the leaking. Later after cutting off the mains power i removed the cover to take a look inside.
I turned on the water to see where the leak was coming from and it was at the bracket between the inlet connector assembly and the flow reg assembly. Then noticed the bracket was split (a ring shaped part on left side had come clean off). Looking around online it seems fairly common that these fail in Mira showers. The bracket is easily replaceable. However it looks like there's also a crack in the main unit case just below the bracket, and that's not easily replaceable.
Before getting it fixed wanted to find way of capping inlet pipe so that i can use water elsewhere in the flat but don't think that will be poss as has grooved end with fitting attached (sorry, i'm not great with the lingo!)

However I also want to know why the failure occurred in the shower unit when i turned a tap on. It was obviously connected as seemed to hear sound like something to do with pressure in piping just before. Often hear somewhat creaky noise from plumbing system when turning taps on/off in kitchen.
Though perhaps just age - shower was fitted 8 years ago and not serviced since.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, it happened to me before, on Mira Sport, twice before I fitted pressure reducer valve.

It happened when there is a shock pressure (peak pressure ) eg, after a tap turned off quickly.

Replace the shower. Is there a stopvalve somewhere for shower?

Daniel.

no stopvalve that i can see...

are pressure reducer valves installed per appliance or for whole plumbing system?

Sponsored Links
Before getting it fixed wanted to find way of capping inlet pipe so that i can use water elsewhere in the flat

See if you can fit an isolator valve somewhere on the supply pipe. It doesn't need to be near the shower so, for example, can you access the pipe in the loft or behind the bath panel or something. It would probably be a good idea to fit a pressure reducer on the pipe anyway, which you could also do "after" the isolator, thus allowing easier maintenance for the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back