Broken pipe concrete floor help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brother when helping me remove old flooring hit a radiator pipe with a chisel...

Heres my dialemma.

- We have concrete floor
- There is only about 2cm of the pipe showing above the concrete floor
- I have hacked the floor and the pipe is connected to another pipe via a T and it runs in the concrete into another room (so changing the whole pipe is not really a option.
- There is no play in the 2 pipes
- There is another pipe right next to it and a elbow joint very close also

Question is, can a replacement pipe be welded somehow to joint these up?

Sponsored Links
You can cutting out a section and using a normal coupling and a slip coupling. Best of luck :)

Have you actually removed a length of pipe as your drawing suggests? You can get a new bit in. It'll be a bit of a cheat but it will work.

Cut the replacement pipe just short enough so that the end of the upper pipe - which you can push sideways if not upwards - will just clear the end of the upper joint. Now for the cheat. Position the joints so that each pipe is only three quarters of the way in. You can do this with solder fittings or compression joints. Thread the nuts and olives of the latter onto the pipes first.

If there is any water lying in the bottom pipe that you can't get rid of you'll have great difficulty making a solder joint here. That will be unfortunate because they're so much neater and they'll never leak if you do them right.

NB: It's common practice to add a bit of extra solder to the end of a solder joint. Don't overdo it. With the pipe not against the end stop any surplus solder will run down inside the pipe.

Thanks as there is a elbow close by, if i heat it wouldnt it melt the joints of the elbow?

Thanks for the replies

Sponsored Links
You've just given me an idea. If you can melt the joints of that elbow you can, possibly, slide it right off. Clean all the old solder off the end of the horizontal pipe and put it all back together with a new elbow which you slide on sideways.

Not usually, but to prevent this happening soak a tea towel in cold water and lay on the elbow first.

As said, yor biggest problem will be getting the water out before you attempt to solder the joint. Plenty of blowing down the pipe may be needed.

It only takes a few drops of water to stop the copper heating up enough to melt the solder fully.

You guys are great thanks!

I think i will remove the elbow great idea! I will make sure i remove all the water in the pipe.

Thanks again guys

You guys still here?

Okay so i welded a straight coupler onto the existing pipe (what was left of it) then a compression slip coupler to close the gap.

However after filling the system, pressure 1bar, the welded coupler is very slightly wet.

Ive wrapped tissue round the base, and the water doesnt leak down, so its not dripping, just when i touch the joint my finger is a little wet.

Question is can i leave it, will it dry up? Or do i have to do it all again?

Thanks

when you say "welded" do you mean it is a steel pipe?

or is it copper pipe and you mean "soldered"?

You guys are great thanks!

I think i will remove the elbow great idea! I will make sure i remove all the water in the pipe.

Thanks again guys

aquavac if you can get hold of one.

You guys still here?

Okay so i welded a straight coupler onto the existing pipe (what was left of it) then a compression slip coupler to close the gap.

However after filling the system, pressure 1bar, the welded coupler is very slightly wet.

Ive wrapped tissue round the base, and the water doesnt leak down, so its not dripping, just when i touch the joint my finger is a little wet.

Question is can i leave it, will it dry up? Or do i have to do it all again?

Thanks

sure it's not condence? cold pipes warm room.

Ive ruled out condensation, it happens when the pipe is hot or cold.

Thanks for the reply

You need to pinpoint the exact source of the leak. In my experience properly made soldered joints never leak but compression ones can, especially if the pipe wasn't cleaned first. Was it? Wait until the pipe is warm to eliminate condensation then wrap the tissue around it just below the compression joint.

A leaking compression joint can often be sealed just by tightening a bit more. Alternatively, open the offending joint and put a few turns of PTFE tape over the olive, making sure you cover the INNER edge of the olive.

As a last resort on a dirty pipe, open the joint and cut the olive off then CLEAN IT PROPERLY before remaking the joint with a fresh olive. To remove an olive without damaging the pipe use a junior hacksaw, angled slightly to miss the pipe, until you have a decent sized slot then split the thing open with a wide bladed screwdriver.

Thanks Space cat, its not leaking from the compression its leaking from the soldered coupler :(

The bit of the pipe wasnt in great condition tbh, but i didnt really have much choice. Its about 2cm of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor.

Any ideas? Thanks mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back