Broken pipe in inspection chamber who should fix it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had thames water around my area doing what i think was jetting or clearing the drains on the small roads around my property both upstream and down stream of the inspection chamber located in my back garden.
A few days later i noticed my toilets backing up and found my inspection chamber to be nearly full with waste water.

Called them out to take a look since ive never had any issues with blockages so i thought something might have been dislodged upstream and caused a blockage in or around my access chamber.
They came out and unblocked a soft blockage due to what they described a secition of pipe in my chamber that had dropped causing snagging tissues.

(Couldnt really see where the pipe had dropped when they showed me what with all the debris covering it)

They said that they will monitor it in the future and possibly come out to do a repair

Ive lifted the cover and hosed everything down for a proper look when they left and a section of the pipe is actually broken which will no doubt cause further problems sooner or later.
Can anyone advise if the water company are responsible for repairing this or not since the chamber is in my garden but it flows down to the next house before going to the main road. Theres also potentially several other properties upstream.
P.s the break is fairly recent as i lifted the cover some months ago to drain.my ch system

Sponsored Links
since "They said that they will monitor it in the future and possibly come out to do a repair" they must take it that it falls under their jurisdiction as they don't go round offering to sort out private sewers. Also if it was your responsibility there would have been an invoice in the post for sorting out your drain

Sponsored Links
If there are other properties upstream using that chamber, then it's cut and dried, it's Thames Asset and they are responsible. Should be a fairly easy repair, the Water Companies usually have a Contractor for doing works such as this. They'll soon get fed up of coming out to unblock it if they dont sort it out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back