Inspection chamber full to the brim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
70s detached bungalow.
I have recently been having trouble with a suspected blocked WC. It nearly overflows and the water level subsides slowly.
Having no luck with finding any internal obstructions, I opened the inspection chamber nearest the house. This is the one that the bath and WC flow into.
It was nearly full to the top.
I shoved my hand in and spooned out a shedload of toilet paper. The water level didn't drop when I did this.
Using a length of batten, I reached under the mucky water and ensured that the inlet and exit pipe of the chamber were not obstructed. They seemed OK.
I then opened a 2nd chamber, further from the house, nearer the road. That too was almost full to the brim. Again I removed a load of toilet paper and ensured the inlet and outlet were not obstructed. The water level did not drop.
Finally, I opened a 3rd chamber, the one nearest the road. This was half full and with reasonably clear water.

Questions: How high should the water level be in an inspection chamber? Should the inlet and outlet pipes be visible? If there is heavy rainfall, will surface water fill them up?

Maybe I have an obstruction between chambers 2 and 3?
But bath, basin, sink and washing machine all seem to drain OK. There is no water backing up into the house.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a blockage :LOL:

It will be in the pipe running from the 3rd chamber to the road.

sounds like a rod job.

boy your a brave man

or you have no sense of smell

or a very strong stomach

or all the above :LOL: :LOL:

borrow some rods, it might help to tie a hose pipe near the end with a jet nozzle.

ive used a device that attatches to a pressure washer the jet faces backwards so it propels its self forward.

yeah sounds like its 3rd chamber to road

Sponsored Links
sounds like a rod job.
yeah sounds like its 3rd chamber to road

Thanks, it wasn't too unpleasant.
If it's outside my property, do the water company have to fix it?
Maybe there is a blocked drain somewhere roadside after all the heavy rain.

Anyway I'll buy a set of rods and clear the pipes at my end.
What should the level of water in an inspection chamber be?
The ICs are about 1m deep. I'll have to buy some wellies...
Mike

by rights it should be empty, as its all supposed to fall away.

You don't need to climb in to rod the drain :LOL: :LOL:

Just push the plunger towards the road, after you screwed it on the rod of course

Just push the plunger towards the road, after you screwed it on the rod of course

he might want to ;)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

My mate dived in one once :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Big 12" jobbie, and you had to hang on like grim death when it went or the suction will pull you in, which it did :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I had to take him home on the back of the lorry, through the middle of Bognor town center :evil: :evil:

Don't forget.....when using rods alway twist in a clockwise direction i.e. tightening the rod onto the plunger, NEVER twist anti-clockwise, the plunger can come unscrewed and remain in the pipe, and that can be costly!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back