New toilet/soil stack to inspection chamber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I am installing a new toilet downstairs next to an outside wall. There is a 3 way inspection/access chamber about 1.5 metres outside this point which I plan on going into. It has one inlet in use from the upstairs WC and the other capped off.

I plan on going from the toilet out the wall, elbow down, dig a trench leading to the chamber, elbow to horizontal (having the correct fall) and run it to the spare inlet on the chamber and connect.

Does all that sound right?
Is there anything I've missed?
Anything I need to be aware or careful of?
Can I just elbow down or will I need some sort of breather?

Sponsored Links
Sounds ok to me, Building Control should be informed, and may wish to inspect before signing off the work. I'd personally fit an access bend where the pipe comes out the wall, just belt and braces, hopefully it will never been needed.

1:40 fall on your pipework, bed in peagravel, surround to protect pipe once laid. Initial layer of backfill needs to be free of stones and big lumps to avoid damaging pipe.

Sounds ok to me, Building Control should be informed, and may wish to inspect before signing off the work. I'd personally fit an access bend where the pipe comes out the wall, just belt and braces, hopefully it will never been needed.

1:40 fall on your pipework, bed in peagravel, surround to protect pipe once laid. Initial layer of backfill needs to be free of stones and big lumps to avoid damaging pipe.
Mate this is exactly what I was hoping for in a reply. (Sometimes get some right sarcy comments on these forums.) thank you.

Building control have been informed. Do you think they'll wanna see it before it's filled back in? I will email them first anyway but what's the norm?

Great shout on the access bend I'll use one of those!

Would it need a breather or air admittance valve? The current WC doesn't but not sure if things have changed since it was built 20 years ago.

Check with BCO before backfilling, some will, some wont, they all vary.

Should be fine on that setup without an AAV, you're allowed to connect a pan directly to the drain provided the distance between the crown of the WC trap and the invert of the drain is less than 1.3m, its when you've long runs and/or are on upper floors it gets a bit more tricky.

Sponsored Links
Check with BCO before backfilling, some will, some wont, they all vary.

Should be fine on that setup without an AAV, you're allowed to connect a pan directly to the drain provided the distance between the crown of the WC trap and the invert of the drain is less than 1.3m, its when you've long runs and/or are on upper floors it gets a bit more tricky.
Arrr perfect. Thank you mate really appreciate it. Have a great weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back