Broken Window Handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Just received in the post my new Cockspur handle to replace a busted up old Espag Handle.

I have not offered this up to the holes yet but I am pretty sure that they are not going to line up, also I fear that I will need some sort of a spacer to put underneath the handle assembly.

This is to go onto an aluminium frame.

Questions.
1) Whats the BEST way to fix these things to the frame, screwing/glueing/riveting?
I am pretty sure that the existing holes are going to be in the wrong place OR they are going to be too big and I don't think I can put in a bigger screw because of the holes in the handle itself.
Glueing would be a good option but not sure how this would hold up to being used.
2. Is there an easy way to put a spacer underneath these things? Can they be bought?

Not too sure how to proceed on this one, the handle itself came with no fixings

Sponsored Links
Pics of the old handle/window needed too?
Some are fitted right behind the glass so you wont be able to drill them unless you take the glass out.
Also no glue wont hold them.

I bought a cockspur because the old espags spindle was bent out of shape and has knackered the mechanism inside.
The glass is a pane and isn't near the existing holes but want to find out the best way of fixing the handle on. I am likely to have to drill new holes for it but can only think that the way to get these fixed on will be riveting them on (alu frame). Not too sure of a rivet gun will fit in the groove where the hole needs to be on the handle though (need to get hold of a gun to see).

Sponsored Links
Ah were you the guy with the strange bent spindle a while back?
If so can you find and bump your old post so we can see the handles again

I would prise out the gasket and slide a wallpaper scraper down between the Ali and glass, this will protect the glass when you drill the 4 holes needed to fit your cockspur handle, this will need pop riveting on too and will fit in, assuming you obtained the smallest stack height possible you'll need minimum packing or wedge...............you did get a wedge with the handle didn't you?

Yes, its me with the bent spindle :) I will bump it up, yes I did get a wedge

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back