Broken Yale lock, how can I remove it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I came home 10 minutes ago, closed the door behind me, and now I can't open it again. The Yale lock seems to be broken, and I can't slide the bit that goes across back into the door (I have NO idea what it's called, sorry - English isn't my first language), no matter what I do.

I think my lock type is this type (P89?), at least the part that's on the door itself looks like the part of the left:

The black button type thing seems jammed, and the bit with the Yale logo on it starts feeling loose when I try and push it up or down.

I'd gladly remove the lock entirely, but there are no screws that I can see, it seems melded to the door - how do I get it off the door (I just need to get off one of the parts, really)????

What should I do?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome Emma100 :D :D :D

you may have double locked it when you took the key out can you go outside another way and try unlocking from the outside keeping in mind iff it dosent work try moving the internal snib and try again incase its locked from the inside as well

hi big-all,

thank you for the welcome.

no, I can't go outside. I can't open the door! The bit that normally slides into the lock, won't slide in. :(

Is there's anything else I can do?

did you have to slam it a bit harder than normal to close it ???

Sponsored Links
doubt it
can you phone someone with a key to your door or pass the key to someone else as you have double locked the bolt when you took the key out so someone will have to unlock it from the outside

the bolt had to force the keep on the frame away to close thats why it was tight

and dont forget iff they cannot open from the outside to move the sniblock on the inside and get them to try again

Yay! That did work! Thank you so much!!!!!!

Should I replace the lock, just in case (not tonight, of course, but at some point), just to be on the safe side? (It still feels a bit funny.... and next time I might end up lock out, not locked in.)

But thanks again - you were immensely helpful.

:)

they are fairly solid unless it feels loose or different i wouldn't worry but if its your only lock on the door you might feel safer with a new one
but as i say its happened several times that i know off but never damaged a lock

that a pint you owe me next time i see you ;)

Yeah, it does feel a bit different, and for the time being I've taped over it so that it doesn't close (there's another lock)... I can decide later.

Yup, I definitely owe you a pint...or even two! Thanks again!

:)

i tell you what buy yourself a nice bottle off what you enjoy and have it on me lol:cool:

check for loose screws on the lock and keep before you get a new one
if they are tight check the inside off the lock

OK, one bottle on white wine coming up! ;) (Still cheaper than calling in a locksmith!)

Thanks for the tip, will do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back