Brown Hot Water - help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not totally clued up with how the boiler/hot water works in our house but will try to explain!
We have brown hot water coming out the taps, not all the time, just intermittently, possibly when the hot water is heating up. We have a Potterton boiler in the kitchen (this has been serviced) and an unventend water cyclinder in the loft (this is 5 months old). Clearly its not caused by the water supply into the house and it would suggest its not a dodgy iron pipe somewhere otherwise the hot water would always be brown as its passing through the same pipe. The service engineer came out to look at the cyclinder today but said it isnt that - as the coil within it is made of stainless steel, but I am now stumped as to what is causing it :( - logic says it has to be the cyclinder somehow, as that is where the hot water comes from to the taps.....anyone got any suggestions as to how we get the problem sorted?????

Sponsored Links
What pressure is the water in your boiler? Does it vary? Do you ever have to top it up?

I am guessing you have steel radiators. When you bleed them, what colour is the water that come out (you may need to collect it in a jamjar). Does it have any smell?

Is the cold water ever brown, or only the hot?

How old is your house, and what part of the country?

What make and model is the boiler?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back